Heavy flood-like bleeding 2+ months after UFE

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm back with another question. My cycle for the past couple of months after my UFE has been light to normal. However, today I had a brief wave of extreme heavy bleeding. It was like the flood gates opened up and all I could do was be still and let it be. Thank God that I'm always cold at work and had a blanket to cover my bottom half as I snuck out of the office today. Reminded me of the horrible bleeding that I had before the procedure. I called my IR and they said that it could be fibroid sloughing but to keep my eye on it. I thanked them for the info but it was hardly comforting. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's been a couple of hours and I haven't had any heavy bleeding since then but to not know or have an idea of what's really going on is messing with my mind.

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kj I think that the IR is probably right about the Fibroid sloughing. Since my procedure on 18 Jan I have had less blood loss slightly for Jan and Feb but the March period arrived 2 weeks early and was a bit heavier than the previous 2. So I'm hoping period 4 is different but saw what looked like Fibroid tissue in the blood (sorry for TMI) so I would say don't worry. And probably the next period will be better
    • Posted

There is no such thing as TMI while talking about the issues dealing with fibroids.  I'll calm down for now!  cheesygrin

Thanks!

• Posted

Yeah whatever try and help some people I will calm down for now thanks!
    • Posted

I'm confused.  Did you take offense to my comment because based on your reply, it looks as if you did?  My response was supposed to come across as a touch funny.  I was saying that, to me, there isn't such as thing as "too much information" when it comes to fibroids, meaning that I need all of the information that I can get and I meant it.  When I stated, "I'll calm down for now", I meant that I was freaking out a little bit and based on what you were saying that I would calm myself down and give this time.  I didn't mean to offend you.  Geez....
  • Posted

This could be fibroid sloughing but whatever the cause it is atypical to have this going on this far out from UFE. I would have them perform a pelvic MRI with and without contrast. This would do several things. The first is that it would evaluate the fibroids to see if they are all completely dead as they should be post-embolization (i.e. the post-contrast images are the most important ones). Second, it would evaluate to see if any of the fibroids communicate with the uterine cavity (bright signal on non-contrast T2 weighted pictures between dead fibroid and uterine cavity) which would account for the stuff that you have seen. The sloughing usually stops on its own but you may need other medications etc. if you had any symptoms with this (particularly if you had any fever). Third, while unusual, it iwould be important to see if what you have seen is only the "tip of the iceberg" with a larger aborting fibroid behind it. Good luck.   
  • Posted

How did the rest of your cycles go after the heavy one? I ask because I am experiencing the same thing- I had two light cycles right after UFE, and my third has been heavy with flooding and sloughing of tissue. Prior to this period, I was having brown slime - which is the embo group's term for fibroid tissue coming out. I had an MRI with and without contrast on my heaviest bleeding day, and what is happening is normal, they said. I am to just monitor for infection and stay in touch with my IR.

Did your periods settle down?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.