Heavy legs!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I hope that you are all okay as can be, and where's our summer gone??!!! Ha ha.

Does any other M.E/CFS sufferer have 'heavy leg' problems? It's the only way I can describe it really. The last two weeks have been the worst and longest time ever for me to have this. My legs feel as though they have heavy weights on them, or at times it feels as though I don't have any legs. Years ago, I had the feeling two times, both after Glandular Fever.  Of course, M.E has similar symptoms, I know.  I seem to be walking like a 90 year old lately (sorry 90 year olds!), not the 55 year old that I am.  Does anyone have any remedies for this please - other than sitting or lying down? The last couple of days I've wished I had a wheel chair. Luckily my flay has bars on some of the walls, as the previous occupier was elderly. I have had this feeling on and off since 2010, but these past two weeks have been non-stop.

Thank s for any suggestions etc. xx

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I recognise 'that feeling so old'. I felt older than my 70 year old father in law and I was about 40. I could not keep up with him. And so cold. In winter woolies and greatcoat in Summer in Devon. It was not just my legs but my whole body felt heavy. Another description I used was - it was like walking through treakle. Even lying down was an effort and breathing laborious.

Remedy! finding a way to get better generally. Very very difficult.

• Posted

Hi George, many thanks for your reply.  That is a very good description - treacle legs, I'll have to remember that!  Yes, I too have breathing difficulties through the night.  Mostly I am too hot though, and am usually dripping in sweat - not a good look!!  Though I guess it's the menopause too? Great life isn't it, LOL!!!!  I agree, there's no remedy or 'quick fix' is there - otherwise we'd all be okay eh!! x
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply.

yes, you can get better. I did. It took years of discovering what upset me. Nearly everything. By excluding nearly those everythings including moving house I got stronger and gradually my tollerence returned and more and more things could be added into my diet and environment. Careful analysis and a huge amount of persistence were the keys.

wishing you success in resolving your problems

• Posted

I developed that feeling of heavy legs after my last ME/CFS relapse. I can totally relate to what you're experiencing. I have it all the time. It feels like my legs have heavy weights attached to them. Sometimes I almost feel paralyzed, like I can hardly move them, but I can and do. Maybe in your case, if you rest and really take it easy, your symptoms will subside. If your symptoms ebb and flow, this too will likely pass. 
  • Posted

Hi there, oh I know exactly what you describe! I always say my body feels like that moment after you've been swimming (back in the good old days, when I could do such a thing!) and rather than get out by the swimming pool steps you haul up against the side, and for a few seconds your body feels like a TON weight.  Ever had that? Now when I get that, usually when ascending stairs I think, "Uh oh! M.E. Is bad and I retire to the top of the bed to rest as much as possible until I feel a bit improved, getting up for meals if possible spat least I'm getting in some movement. It can take a short time of a few days or even longer depending on just how long I've been stupidly ignoring the warning signs.

Sure helps being able to be in contact with others who know what we're describing on this forum though.

Hope you manage to get some rest and peace shortly, do take care.

Kind regards,

Yvonne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.