Heavy Legs

Posted , 7 users are following.

Started on 5mg Amlodipine about 4 months ago to treat high BP. Almost immediately I suffered the usual side effects (swollen ankles, insomnia, difficulty walking, constant urination) plus 'heavy legs' which I do not see reported. GP is reluctant to chage med.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried telling him you'll stop taking it altogether if he doesn't change it? It's your body and you do have rights, you know. It's supposed to be a supplier-client relationship, not master-slave or parent-child!

How high was your BP, by the way? I'm asking that because some GPs put patients on medication when their BP is only slightly raised and could have been controlled by lifestyle measures like cutting back on salt and carbs and stepping up exercise a bit.

• Posted

Your GP is probably reluctant to change meds, because Amlodipine does lower BP. However, they have an obligation to change it if it is giving you problems. Try switiching to Felodipine, very similar but with less side affects.
    • Posted

Thanks for the Felodipine tip. I'm talking to the GP later this week and will insist he changes from Amlodipine

• Posted

Amlodopine didn't work for me and caused horrible side effects - I took it for 2 months and I'd had enough.  Where the doctor wouldn't change it immediately, once I told him of the side effects he prescribed me Lisiniprol HCTZ 10 12.5.  I hear some people get a cough from this, whereas I have no side effects and my blood pressure reads 110-120/80-90 - within those ranges.  And my blood pressure dropped like that after only taking one pill of the new medication whereas for 2 months my blood pressure on the Amlodopine averaged 140-90 and above.

• Posted

Have been off amlodipine for a month now and the change is so noticeable.

the leg and ankles actually benefit from the change to indapamide. The heavy legs are much easier along with less overall joint pains. So there is light at the end of tunnel along with lower BP too, so good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks for that Jackie. I started on Indamide 6 months ago but they had no effect on BP so the GP added amlodipine  two months later.
  • Posted

you have just discribed all of my symptoms that I have been having on 10mg of Amlopine. I took my self off of them a few days ago and some of the symptoms are subsiding. I had blood wok done Thrusday and one of the tests was a PTH test. My results came back that my levels were really high. Some of the symptoms are exactly the same as Amlopine, and now I stronly suspct I need to have those glands look at further.
  • Posted

Diana at first my doc did not understand what I met when I said my legs felt heavy. He thought I meant retention of fluid. I think it was the medicine. I am fortunate my provider listens to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.