Heavy periods causing low iron?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies, I am 49, no period for 6 months then 2 really heavy periods. Last period drained me so much I went to GP. Blood tests done and results were, my iron saturation levels were very low, so now on Galfer(Iron tablets)

Anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Annie your not on your own. Missing periods then having very heavy periods are very very common. The iron tablets make me a little constipated so take plenty of fiber and water. You will get tired easily also therefore, try and rest. xx

• Posted

Thanks Amanda, yes the tiredness has been tough, especially at work. Trying to up my fibre intake also x

• Posted

YES! all very normal, keep taking your iron tabs but DO go back to doc for regular checks, Don't just put up with it.

• Posted

Thanks Yellow, I have a gynae appt at end of Nov and then I am to have bloods tested again middle of Dec. So draining! And GP that day wasn't even going to check my bloods 😔

• Posted

this has been me my entire life!

• Posted

oh no way kate!!! you must be constantly shattered! I am dreading if my next period is the same x

• Posted

Yes me too with the heavy periods. I also take iron to make sure I don't become anemic.

• Posted

Kelly, it's so draining! How have you been on the iron tablets? I try to plan everything in my life around my period, it's a nightmare!

• Posted

Yes very draining! Constantly in the bathroom or doing laundry-- just a pain!! But this last month I bought 'super plus' which helps but still paranoid that I will leak thru. I have been anemic a few times so the last few years I have taken them a few times a week to make sure I'm OK. But now I take them more around my period since it's so heavy.. I buy mine on line with good reviews.

• Posted

nightmare! I ended up buying large bulky pads last month. GP has given me tablets to try this month to 'lighten' the bleeding but not sure 🤔🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.