Heavy periods - Mirena Coil

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been experiencing really heavy and long term periods - I had been bleeding from November 08 till April 09, i didn't bleed since. I got the mirena fitted on the 4th of August 09, and i started bleeding from the 9th of Aug and i am still bleeding.

I am worried that i am going to gain weight as it is very hard for me to lose weight because of P.C.O.S - i have known i had P.C.O.S since 2001, the doc didn't want me to start on any pills due to pulmonary embolism which happened in February 09. I am also worried that the coil will get lost some in the unknown.

Has any ones coil got lost but was found and got it out?

if so, how was the experience?

Plz do share... i have kept my hubby at arms length and i am scared to have intercourse when my period is over.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes the strings disappear but iys still there and it still works.

had a coil for several years with no problems.Then it made me bleed. was told would stlle after a couple of months. 12 months later it continues to make me bleed. so it doesnt always work!!

• Posted

You've only had the coil in for a month so don't give up on it yet. It does take some time for your body to get used the the hormones, and eventually you will stop bleeding.

When I had mine in I did have one point where neither me or my dr could find the strings so she sent me for a scan. The coil was still there and still working.

• Posted

At the moment i have been waiting for 4 weeks for an appointment for a scan as my coil has got lost in my body somewhere!! And i am really scared as i do get the odd pain now and then, my doctor said it depends where it has gone to how dangerous it is, i rang the local hospital to chase the scan appointment up and they dont seem to be bothered about it as they said to me its another 6/8 week waiting for appointment that they will send in the post,i cant believe how us women are treated,and to top that off ive just had results through from my smear test saying abnormal cells!! Im really worried cos at this rate i can see myself having a hysterectomy and im only 35 with 4 children, i have read up about this coil and i dont think these doctors tell you everything about the coil and how these problems can happen!!
  • Posted

It was a couple of years ago when this happened to me. I couldn't feel the strings and my GP couldn't feel or see them so she sent me for a scan, saying it would be 6 - 8 weeks. After six weeks I rang the hospital and was told it was 6 - 8 weeks if it was an emergency!!!!! Surely an emergency needs dealing with quicker than that! I think I got my scan done after 11 or 12 weeks, they did find the coil and it was still in place = nothing to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.