Heb b drugs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm diagnosed with HBV and the pcr test is 3568 Iu/ml. Also the hbeag is negative and I have normal liver functions.

Which drug should I use for hepatitis b virus

Baraclude ( approximately $372 per month)

Or

Viread ( approximately $47 per month)

And does anybody know why there is a huge price difference between the two.

Thank you very much.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi themental2001 both of these drugs do the same thing and are very close to one another.  The cost I do not know about but it could be the company that produces them one maybe more generic then the other.  Be glad you don't have Hep C the meds are $30,000 a month a $1000 per pill thats what I have but my insurance pays for it and its only a 12 to 8 week treatment time and is cureable.  Please check out this web site good information.  God Bless site http://www.hepb.org/patients/hepatitis_b_treatment.htm
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. I know that heb c is more expensive but at least it's curable nowadays. Unfortunately, that's not true for heb b. Thank you for the website, it's very useful.
    • Posted

lori13, yes the medication for Hep Cis extremely over priced asi know this cause I am on a 12 week treatment and thank goodness the programs they have out there for people who work and make less then $60,000 a year are able to get this medication. I am ending my six week treatment, and I gotta tell you I can't wait to get off of this. Also I went to my doctor and she was able to read to me my new results of my blood work that I took on my 5th week on treatment she told me today the it's showing no detection of the Hep, but it showing I'm a little anemic.
    • Posted

Hi Angelina1956 I finaly have my appointment with the liver doctor for August first am really anxiouts about the treatment.  I have heard it can make you quite sick, but also know how lucky I am that there is a treatment.  I am already anemic so that is a concern. I am so glad for you that it is working and hope to have the same result. Please keep me updated ok.  God Bless
    • Posted

I was glad I could help and hope all is well with you..
    • Posted

Hi lori13, I have to tell you that both medications that I have been on didn't have any side affects until my 6week on the medications. I feel extremely tired more than I did before the medications. I experience a lot of itching, I only threw up on my 6th week on the medication. After my 5th week I had blood work done and it appears the Hep C is not detected, but my iron is low. For me everyday is a challenge and a step closer to complete the 12 week treatment. After taking the medication I feel as if my upper stomach feels bloated and I feel a lot of indigestion (a lot). I went last week to the emergency room because of that discomfort in my tummy, diarrhea, and throwing up. My anxieties kicked it so that wasn't good. Several things I hope you have when you start your journey is support from family or husband. I have been going through my journey alone and it's overwhelming for me going through it alone. I feel alone and it's not a good feeling. Now understand you may not go through what I'm going through since we are all different. Drink plenty of water that's a must. I feel so many times of giving up regardless of what I'm going through but I continue to stay on it. I only missed my medication one time and that was the day I went to the hospital but went back on it the next day. The doctor I have I thought was going to be my support but he has not been there at all for me in fact some of these doctors are in it for the money, clearly proof it's not about me his patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.