Heel bruising post ankle surgery - how long does it last?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

Been lurking since my ankle arthroscopy on 2/8/2018.  I had a bone cyst causing chronic pain in the joint that was drained and treated surgically - not so common on the forums, but I'm sure bruising is common to many people here unfortunately. 

I still have major bruising on the sides of my heel from the way my foot was secured during the surgery.  Bruises take forever to heal for me (31 yo female, not anemic) so I'm not surprised they are still there 3 weeks later, but how long has bruising post-surgery lasted for some people on here?

This forum has been a great source of comfort while I'm recovering.  I couldn't have imagined how challenging this is!

Thanks,

Courtney

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Courtney

Keep a very good eye on that cyst because as I write I'm on day three of a recovery of a TAR due to cysts. It has involved being on the operating table for about six hours.....grim!

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard - sorry to hear about your TAR and will definitely keep an eye on my cyst.  How are you feeling now, ~6 days after the surgery?  I'm impressed you were on this site 3 days after the op (I was barely functional at that point!)

• Posted

OMG my foot from right below the ankle bones and the whole heel were bruised for the fist 6 weeks! I didn't think it would ever go away, but the last of it finally has and its been 8 weeks!

• Posted

Tricia thanks so much.  This is exactly where my foot is bruised as well.  Comforting to hear that this is part of the healing process, and as usual I guess the answer is more time and patience for it to resolve =). 

How are you feeling ~8 weeks out?  Hope you are continuing to see progress!

• Posted

Doing well. A lot of that bruising was just the blood pooling in the heel area from when I was in the cast and boot the first few weeks. Once I got up and around more it started reabsorbing faster.

Yep progress for sure. Hoping to go back to work in two weeks. I’m right on schedule.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.