Heel pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi all,

my 74 year old mum had her left THP on 3rd JAN.

She has severe pain (burning) in both her heels and this wakes her in the night- she is literally groaning with the pain, has anyone else experienced this? have any idea what it is? I think its likely to be nerve related but I'm no doctor.

Also.. because she struggled so much for a year before being able to have her op, her 'good' leg knee deteriorated and its this 'good' leg thats now really hindering her, she was told by a doctor whilst in hospital that she may well need a knee replacement ..but other than that little cheery nugget of information didn't offer any helpful information as to what, if anything, can be done for this knee in the interim so it doesn't impact too much on the new hip / and recovery. Can anyone relate to this at all?

thank you

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm glad someone else has experienced this! I use to hang my foot out of the bed as the only way for comfort for me, it was only on the operated leg and didnt last too many days. Hope your mum gets relief soon.

• Posted

thank you. i think we may have found some relief with the folded towel for now as she isn't able to hang her foot out yet, but if it continues i'm sure she'll try it when she's more agile.

• Posted

hi, I had a THR 5 weeks ago and still get occasional heel pain. my physio said it was because I have had to sleep consistently on my back and havnt moved my leg much, it is a bit like a pressure pain. he suggested rather than a big elevation of a pillow, to use a folded towel under my calf ending just before my foot so my leg was hardly raised from the bed. it certainly did the trick though and the pain has stopped. much comfier than a cushion or pillow. x

• Posted

HI, thank you for your advice, she tried the towel last night and it was much better.

All the best for your continued recovery.

• Posted

Hi all just letting you know I'm haveing my hip done 12th March thanks everyone since I have been on here I know what to expect a d hopefully I will be a new hippy so o c.f. again thank you

• Posted

Yes this happened to me too.

Sheepskin is the answer or anything you can find that is soft and furry. I used a faux fur throw and it worked just as well. It is the beginning of bed sores I was told. I had the same on my elbows, so just look out for that as well. If she is spending long periods in bed you will need to remind her to keep moving as much as she can, every hour she should do some kind of exercise even if she can only do it in bed. This will prevent the bed sores and any blood clots.

Once she is spending more time in a chair and moving around you find that these things will quickly get better. Poor thing, it is no fun in the early stages. Give her our best wishes, and she must feel incredibly lucky to have such a kind and loving daughter.

• Posted

Hi,

thanks so much for your response, we've currently got a teddy bear like material in place along with a rolled up towel under her calves which was much better, whilst i'm on the look out for sheepskin.

she really struggles with the stairs but shes got up every morning , got dressed and gone downstairs so i'm pleased to say shes only in bed at night.

thanks so much for your lovely kind words and wishes. x

• Posted

Can I also say I had knee pain, but not because I needed a replacement but simply because the surgery is brutal and they have to twist your leg into different positions and esp the knee can be very badly impacted. It will get better. Obviously she may need a KR in time, but the knee pain was worse than my hip for weeks!! Hopefully she will follow the same pattern and it will resolve.

Can I suggest possibl the dr reviews her pain relief if she is very uncomfortable? She doesn't need to suffer and may need more medication if her knee pain is holding her back.

You may find this impossible to believe right now, but she will be so much better in a week or two. Best of luck.

• Posted

thank you, other people hane had said similar, so your reassurance does make me feel more positive.

thanks so much x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.