Heel Pain - Walking Boot

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello All-

Tore my achilles about 6 weeks ago (March 27), and had surgery about 4.5 weeks ago. Was in a splint for a week, and then a cast for 3 weeks.

Last Thursday I had my cast taken off and I was put in a walking boot. I have actualy experienced more pain in my heel and the outside of my foot on the injured leg, then I ever did with my achilles.

Has anyone else had this problem with heel pain from the walking boot? I have flat feet and wear orthotics. I tried putting an orthotic in the walking boot but that doesn't seem to help either.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dogg, I just came across your post and wondered if you figured out what was wrong and how you got better?

I almost could've written this post!

I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from posterior tibialis tendon surgery, went into the boot at 11 days (I couldn't stand the splint), and was just given the green light to start weight bearing Monday.

I too have flat feet and I think the aircast boot is awful.

Even though the surgery was on the inside of my ankle only, my heel, especially the outside, I'd KILLING me whenever I try to put weight on it. I called the doc to ask if this is normal. He suggested taking out the orthotic I had in there, which of course didn't help.

I start PT on Friday and maybe they can figure it out. In the meantime, I'm thinking it's my heel atrophying or something?

If you can let me know what happened with you, that would be great. I'm depressed and looking for some hope.

Thanks

• Posted

I broke my lower fibula 2 weeks ago and was in a old fashion cast for the first week without any pain. 

Now I have a boot and the pain in my heel is killing me. Especially at night. 

• Posted

Hey man im interested in what u have had. I recently tore my achilles feb 17th and had surgery march 1st im close to 4 months in and ive been having those heel pains man whenever i first wake up or whenever i sit down for a period and get up to walk again did u go through that?
  • Posted

On April 10th 2018 I had brevis tendon repair on my right foot. I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I’m now in a cam boot for 5 weeks and I have horrible heel pain and the lateral sides of my foot are very painful when I’m walking ( still using a walker) I too suffered sural nerve damage during surgery. This recovery is daunting to say the least. I was wondering if maybe a gel insole would help the heel pain. It’s quite frightening when you just don’t know when you’re going to walk right and feel normal again. I’m told the foot can take a year or longer to be 100% fully recovered. Best of luck to all on this thread.
  • Posted

Hi I am 8 weeks post complete Achilles Tear. No Surgery just the boot. Been wedge less for 3 weeks and started walking in the boot for a week now. Swelling of my ankle and foot is finally going down quite well. But the heel pain while walking in the boot!!! Find it ironic that the area that caused the problem, the torn Achilles gives me no trouble but walking or standing too long in the boot is kind of torture. Such a graceful walk haha thinking I could dress up as Frankenstein this Halloween with my lurching walk. Someone here suggested a gel insert into the boot. I will try that.

• Posted

On 9/30/2020 I had the Strayer procedure and a bone spur removed. I have been limited weight bearing for the past 3 days and am experiencing that same excruciating heel pain when in the boot. I look forward to seeing other's experiences with this same issue and what they've done to eliminate it. If not eliminate it, then to live with it.

• Posted

Exact same problem. Was in a CAM Walker boot, standard kind, for 5.5 weeks for plantar fascitis that I had for a long time. Maybe some microstress fractures too. That pain went away with the boot but a new pain, started. An ache in the heel on the lateral side that progressed to a burning sensation. Very painful to put weight on heel but not painful at rest. Going back to foot doctor. Did your foot get better?

• Posted

I've got into a walking boot recently and had the same pain in my ankle from the walking boot but i believe I've found a solution.

I believe the problem is that when you strap your ankle in the boot it forces your ankle up against a very uncomfortable surface of plastic behind the foam layering.

My solution was to take out the foam cover and fold over a facecloth and place it over that plastic grid patterned area where my ankle was forced into by strapping my ankle tightly into the boot. Once that was in place, I put my foam back in and boot back on my foot and my pain was gone. You way want to re-adjust it every so often but its helped me in my recovery a lot.

Hope this helps someone,

Roly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.