Heel slides

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all

staples out yesterday, when doing heel slides before the staples were out I could feel a nipping around my staples.  I expected this would be gone now.   But doing my heel slides today I don't feel any different and am still getting the nipping stinging, could this be internal stitches. .? Should I not push through this or should I be trying my best and ignoring the pain.    Sue x 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Susan, its just a little healing of some nerves. This may be an on and off thing for a couple of weeks or so. More than likely it will disappear and you will realize it left without you even realizing. This is part of the journey. Bathing will soften and relax the area. Just make sure you don't soak it or apply any oils, etc until all of the little holes left by the staples no longer show any signs of draining. The only concermscyou should have is of the area becomes hot (warm is the norm), shows unusual swelling or major drainage issues. They have to use stitches on me as my knee has been opened 4 times (5th coming up next month). In march when they had to pull all of the hardware (staph epi) the deepest area of the wound was the slowest to heal. The stitches were pulled at 16 days and one area less than 1/2" remained covered with a scab. As I was allowed to showers again it gradually washed all but a small bit away and after about 6 weeks a short piece of thread began to show. When I went back last week (8 weeks) the Dr. had to take a good pair of tweezers and with difficulty finally got that the last bit out. The point being, there is healing going on all over the place and you never know how and when it's going to affect you. Excercise, as important as it is, can create a new twinge completely out of the blue and it will go away as suddenly.
  • Posted

Hi  Ofg

thanks very much for your reply.    I am a very strong person normally ( I think)  and have had operations in the past, but usually I have a timescale of what comes next!

i am beginning to feel light headed as soon as I don't feel in control of "the leg".

my admiration goes to you,  to be so positive for all who are using this site.

whilst dealing with your own problems.   

Thanks again as as I know this is " the post for today". Lol

sue x 

• Posted

I guess we all wonder sometimes what we were put on earth for to help pay for the space and air we consume. I sort of stumbled across this site trying to find more information on the problem that started all this for me. In doing so, I found a place where a view with a little history might help and only wish it had been there for me 12/ years ago. Sometimes in the middle of my night I found people being kept awake by pain and worry of the unknown. I decided that if I could be of some comfort and encouragement, maybe I had finally, after 77 years, found a way to pay my way. Its far more satisfying than watching old movies in the middle of the night and oncecin awhile I even bore myself so much I go back to sleep. I look at my situation and know there is a chance of getting back on my feet and at the samectumeclook at my wife and
    • Posted

Darn. Didn't mean to hit the send button. I started to say, I look at my wife and know there isn't any hope for a better life for her. No cure and none in sight. She my live for several years but its all going to be downhill and become more difficult for all of us but we can't crawl into a closet and hide, we just have to keep trying to pay for our space someway, somehow
    • Posted

I think I speak for all the other participants of this forum.  OFG, you have been through so much in the past & we will be all be thinking of you in the coming month when once again you have surgery, hopefully for the last time.  You deserve resolution at last.  Your posts & support are so important for all seeking information. Very best of luck & best wishes for a great result.
    • Posted

Thank you very much. I am certainly hoping this will take care of it permanently.
  • Posted

Hi Ofg

sometimes it's good to write it down, and express our fears and feelings, something this sight allows us to do, as verbally I wouldn't say and worry the family with.  I haven't known a grandad or father of my own, and so I'm glad your here on this site with your words of wisdom too! 

Sue x

I have never known a grandad or a father of my own and I have a brother with learning disabilities, but I hasten to say I do have a lovely husband and 2 lovely sons.    But myself at 58 it's nice to take the vie

• Posted

My last 15 years of work were spent in the development (fund raising) area for a large organization that run residental/training facilities for the lowest 2 levels of developmental disabilities. We had over 800 folks in our system throughout the eastern half of the US. You can get a whole different of life being involved with that population. When they smile and say thank you, you know its straight from the heart.
  • Posted

Oops doing your trick !! Lol
  • Posted

Hi.

I just want to say to OGF that you are inspirational!

I stumbled upon here to try and find info for my upcoming TKR next weekend.  I have been watching all the different threads and questions and see you there giving some wonderful support and advice.  

I feel very nervous and scared but you make me realise I have nothing to worry about and also that my problems are nothing compared to yours.  I wish you all the very best and no doubt I'll be back on here soon asking for some help - quite possibly in the middle of the night!

best regards x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.