Heightened anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

First time poster. I've been suffering from really bad anxiety for 8 years. I had it under control with citalopram and lamotrogene with klonopin used as an as-needed drug.

My doctor took me off citalopram and this was a huge mistake. I was fine at first, but I started to unravel and got to where I was taking klonopin daily. I was able to get off off this drug. I wanted citaopram back, but new doctor kept telling me no. I wound up on lithium, abilifi and seroquel xr. I don't feel like I need these meds, but I've been told to keep them up. My doctor let me have citalopram back, but I still have to take doses of other medicines.

Anyway, I'm trying to get stable and be able to live my life again. Since going back on 20 mg of citaopram Thursday, I have had heightened anxiety which has been really tough to even leave the house with it. I am having the clenching jaws, yawning and high feelings as well. Are these side effects normal and will it get better? I was in citalopram before and I remember some side effects, but the anxiety is what is almost unbearable.

Thanks,

Robby

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robby

Yes it's all normal. I'm on day 28 taking citalipram and everything you mention I had the first 2 weeks .

Lack of sleep, clenched jaw, dry mouth,wind, muscle jerks, headaches , increased aniexty , crazy thoughts, high feeling, spaced out..etc .... But it does pass and gradually get better.

I'm on 20mg . Hope you get better soon Robby

Debi x

• Posted

Thank you Debi,

Has your anxiety overall gotten a lot better than it was before you started taking it? What I'm scared of is being on another medicine that doesn't work. I know it does because it did before, but just hard not to worry.

Robby

• Posted

Yes it's far better now... Still not 100% better but mrs better than before.

Yes stick with it as I said I think it's normally the first 2 weeks that's the worst for everyone .

X

• Posted

Hello, my anxiety was sky high for the first few weeks on citalopram 20mg. It began to settle around week 7. By week 12 I was having spells of feeling back to my normal self. Be patient and give it time. In the meantime, be kind to yourself and keep reminding yourself that the intrusive thoughts and anxiety are being increased - albeit temporarily - by the drug. Try to relax as much as possible. Good luck x x x
    • Posted

That's so great to hear! Being patient is so hard, but I know I need to. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hi when u start Citalprom , unfortunately your anxiety increases whilst tablets are kicking in then it will gradually get better, but takes time to work everyone differs, but it does get better.
    • Posted

Thanks Richard. Do you know if confusion is part of citalopram sode effects?
  • Posted

Hi Robby, I have also been on Cit before about 5 years ago. Took it for a year and felt much better. So I am going through it all over again, and have done 10 weeks on 20 mg. I have heard that it takes longer to work the second time around, so I am just riding those waves of anxiety and hoping relief is in sight. The worst of the side effects like nausea and headaches have gone, but I still have anxiety when waking up, and a dry mouth. Just keep going, sleep and rest, and hopefully in a few weeks we will be dishing out support and encouragement. The anxiety wont last forever, but yes it is awful when you are living trough long and anxious days. Good luck. Lee.
    • Posted

Thanks lee,

I am getting some confusion the last few days. Is this something you've struggled with? I hope you're right about giving words of encouragement.

Robby

• Posted

haha, Robby, I hope I am right too! Yes I felt very muddled in the beginning with a significant increase in my anxiety, so I think feeling foggy headed for a while is part of the deal. I still make notes because I seem forgetful if I don't and overlook silly things. I seem to cope best when I am engrossed in something at work or have a specific task to attend too. Other than that I am a bit all over the place emotionally due to the anxiety that caught me out today. Other than that all is good, so keep holding on and yes we will get there eventually. Often I am still a bit confused when I first wake up in the morning ie. what day it is etc. Small steps and we will make it. Good luck to you, and i hope you feel better soonish. Lee.
    • Posted

Thanks lee,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have one more question. I took vacation when I started citalopram and go back next week. I definitely know I'm going to psych myself up for when I go back. Especially with the symptoms. Any advice on working with the side effects?

Robby

• Posted

Robby, it really hasn't been easy to work while going through this. I was very upfront with my boss, and explained that there may be days that I am not myself, and there were many and still have a few. I took my breaks when I could, stayed out of office polotics and just got on with it. A few extra bathroom trips, small snacks for the nausea even when I don't want to eat, and a bottle of water. Still taking more strain some days than others, but making slow progress in some areas. I always did chores and shopping straght after work so I never had to endure shopping malls over weekends, and still have lots of early nights. Paracetamol for headaches, and when I feel anxious I run to the bathroom and run my hands under cold water. That's the best I can come up with, but small things that got me through some very long 12 hour shifts. Being back at work after a vacation is never easy, so just take it slowly and ease back into it one day at a time. You will be fine. Take care, Lee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.