heightened anxiety when start citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all ive been on citalopram 10mg for 11 days now . I was scared to start it because of the side effects but I decided to start and now im not sure wether to carry on or not sad ive been experiencing more anxiety since starting the tablets my dr said this is normal but really 11 days? I heard theyre supposed to kick in from 14 days which seems a bit unlikely right now. Ive also had a low appetite like I dont feel like eating at all and have to force myself to eat.

Should I carry on will this help me or am I putting myself through this for no reason sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been on this drug,but it had no affect on my condition.I would hang in there for another week and if there is no change get back in touch with your G.P, It takes sometimes trying more then one drug to find the wright one for you, as I found out myself.It also maybe that 10mg might be too low but please do not increase this without talking to your G.P .

As for not being able to eat ,all tablets have side affects, for me I have put on 2 half stone in two years(my condition is very serious) this happens with these drugs I`m affaid.

Hope this is of help!

Hang in there things will get better! smile

• Posted

Hi minxy thanks for your reply .

I do feel a bit better today than yesterday less worry and anxiety on the whole I think I need to be patient with it im expecting a quick fix and 11 days is still early days.

Ive tried paroxetine before but it nocked me out at only 10mg. I see my dr in couple weeks I will be sticking it out til then . My appetite seems better today too hopefully im on the right track

thank you smile

• Posted

Thats good!

I can understand that paroxetine knocked you out,my dr had me on fluoxetine about 4 years ago could`nt stay awake myself,Like I said sometimes you have to try more than one to find the wright one for you.

Citalopram or Sertraline don`t have the side effects of zoneing you out,I am on Sertraline and have been on it for nearly 3 years now.But still they all have side effects one way or another but the longer your on the wright one for you they get less over time.

Good Luck smile

• Posted

Hi,

It really is normal. I start feelimg better after abput 3 weeks but to be honest ive had side effects fpr up to 4-8weeks on and off. Hang on in there

• Posted

Personally after 30 years of being on every Psychiatric drug under the sun I will NOT put anymore Dr.

ordered drugs into my body. I weigh the pro's & con's. Are the side effects and long term (bad) effects of

the drug more beneficial to me than the symptoms being treated. Absolutely NOT. I am 57 years old and I've decided I'm all done letting the Dr's put me on addictive drugs in which I have to withdrawal from at some point and it is a nightmare. I'm all done with all the side effects from my anti-depressant. Now that I'm off my Klonopin I don't even suffer depression anymore. I am just all done with meds. And I have not felt better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.