Helicobacter Pylori Antiobiotic treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with chronic gastritis due to HP infection and have completed my triple therapy antibiotic treatment around 4 weeks ago.  The treatment was for two weeks and during the these two week, the side effects of nausea, dizziness and diarrhoea were brutal.  Whilst the diarrhoea has stopped, the dizziness/off balance feelings have continued, although not to the same extreme.  Has anyone experienced this after taking this medication for HP infection?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had all this too! I felt like a sudden weakness would just come over me and would need to lay down until it passed. Im afraid the antacids did not agree with me and i felt that caused it as when i stopped them it went away. I take over the counter ones now and have watched my diet to see which foods aggravate the gastritus. Im not 100 per cent but getting there. Feel for you as i know how ill this makes you feel. Kind regards maureen.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Maureen. I’m not taking any antacids any longer and refused to take any further medication once I finished the AB.  I too am watching my diet and testing what foods still aggravate me whilst I heal 100%. It’s just frustrating how long it takes. 🙂 All the best with your recovery also. 

• Posted

Only treat patients who have a positive test result for H pylori infection. Carefully educate patients regarding the importance of completing the prescription and about the potential adverse effects of the medications. Importantly, consider possible antibiotic resistance when selecting the treatment regimen. Note that surgery is not required for patients with H pylori infection, but it may be considered in patients with severe complications, such as cancer.

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved several regimens, which are now accepted internationally, for the treatment of H pylori infection in patients with peptic ulcer disease, both gastric and duodenal. These regimens are also known as triple therapies and have reported cure rates from 85-90%

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.