Helicobacter pylori testing

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

For folks suffering from gastro-oesophageal reflux disease or dyspepsia ever been referred by their GP for a Helicobacter pylori test (aka H pylori)?

See "1.9 Helicobacter pylori testing and eradication" of....


Nobody I have spoken to seems to know much about it.

0 likes, 6 replies


6 Replies

  • Posted

    It is (or should be) standard practice to have a H-Pylori test if you experience frequent acid hyper-secretion symptoms.

    The test may be done in various ways: stool sample and breath test are common. (The latter requires drinkig a radio-active drink first.) But most of us who have gastroscopies will probably have it tested in a biopsy.

    The bacteria lives in the stomach of quite a high proportion of the population and to survive may burrow into the stomach mucosa away from the acid producing cells.

    It i streated by a course of 3 different antibiotics.

    • Posted

      Hi Barretts,

      Thank you very much, when you say standard test, does it mean the GP will send me to my local NHS trust or can they do it at the surgery?


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up