6 Replies

• Posted

I just took the H-Pylori breath test at a lab which I should have the results any minute now.
    • Posted

Hi papote53

Did your GP refer you to have the test or done it or you have to pay privately? 

• Posted

I asked my GI and she order it.  Results came out today; all clear. ;-)
  • Posted

It is (or should be) standard practice to have a H-Pylori test if you experience frequent acid hyper-secretion symptoms.

The test may be done in various ways: stool sample and breath test are common. (The latter requires drinkig a radio-active drink first.) But most of us who have gastroscopies will probably have it tested in a biopsy.

The bacteria lives in the stomach of quite a high proportion of the population and to survive may burrow into the stomach mucosa away from the acid producing cells.

It i streated by a course of 3 different antibiotics.

• Posted

Hi Barretts,

Thank you very much, when you say standard test, does it mean the GP will send me to my local NHS trust or can they do it at the surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.