Hell having IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all IBS suffers out there. I can so relate to you all. The attacks starting with pain, you might make it to the bathroom and then the diarrhea, sweating, chills, fainting. It is such a terrible feeling. Yes you do Feel as though you are going to die, being scared to death and nothing to help stop this from happening again. It's difficult to hold down a job. I was a school bus driver and yes I had an attack. Thankfully no kids on bus at the time and yes I made it to a bathroom thank the lord but knowing I had to get back behind the wheel and get the children home was just not going to happen for me. Yes I didn't finish out my rt. There's no way I was going to put my kids in a dangerous position because I had a medical issue that was out of my control. That is why I can say it is difficult to work. Difficult to have a normal life. I can only pray that the medical field starts taking IBS more serious! Now that I have passed out I am even more afraid. Yes afraid to eat, afraid to live life not knowing when or were the next attack will happen. Please help us all with this terrible disease.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

you just have to learn to manage your symptoms as best you can. take anti-spasmodics, painkillers, immodium. try keeping a food diary to ID triggers. it is possible to have a job and a fairly normal life. attacks will still happen you just have to do the best you can when they do.
    • Posted

I do need to keep better track of my food. Idk nothing that I ate that set this off. No stress at the time. I don't have medicine so apparently I need to do research on this.

Thank you

• Posted

I am so, so sorry Shawnda. My condition is very mild compared to most of the members on this site, and yet I still can't have a normal day, too. The constant fear of it coming on when you can't get to a toilet, etc.  I hope they finally do come up with something that really works for people suffering with IBS.

• Posted

Hi shawanda,

Yep I can certainly relate to all of the above symptoms plus now I'm also dealing with a burning sensation during and after passing a bm, told my gp but she didn't seem overly concerned. I'm thinking maybe it's piles or torn tissue.

Youre def not alone, it can be very scary sometimes.

:-)

• Posted

Yes as far as burning I can relate. My tummy ache after words for several days. Thank goodness for heating pads.
  • Posted

Have you tried a food diary or the Low Fodmap diet?  This should show up any food triggers.  Do you find that stress sets it off?  Once you identify your triggers, you will be able to get control of your IBS. Were you ever prescrbed an anti spasmodic? They can help with pain.  

Before my IBS diagnosis, I had no idea what was triggering my pain. The doctor who finally picked up IBS asked me about my stress levels.  It was a light bulb moment for me because I had forgotten about the months of stress I had had before the onset of symptoms and I didn't realise that stress could make my bowel so irritable.

• Posted

Yes I believe stress definitely has a part in IBS but no stress this day. I do need to keep better track of my diet and do things different . It so sucks! But having these extreme attacks are the worst ever. Thank you for advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.