Heller myotomy w/ fundoplication tomorrow

Posted , 5 users are following.

So i am having a heller myotomy w/ toupet tomorrow.... I thought I heard my doc say i need to b on a clear liquid diet 3 days prior so I did on Sunday. I also did research and everything online says same that I need that diet prior. When I called the surgeons nurse yesterday though and tried to confirm this she said no I do not need to be on one. So I am very confused..... i had a milkshake and pasta yesterday but my gut feeling telling me I should just stick to clear liquids today. Anyone please help me rolleyes

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It will not do any harm to be on the clear liquid diet, so in one sense you are being on the safe side by sticking to what you thought the doctor said.   There can tend to be old food coagulating around the base of your oesophagus and this would take some time to drain through, so perhaps that is the reason.   If I were you I would stick to the clear liquid.   That way it might turn out to be unnecessary but it is better that than the other way round.   It is something that some surgeons might ask for whilst others do not.  
    • Posted

Ok thank you! I will stick to the clear liquid diet then!
  • Posted

I was told to not eat anything for 24 hours before, except tiny sips of water if I needed to. Maybe different surgeons require different things but you aren't doing anything wrong.

Good luck with your op! The pain eventually subsides and you will be able to lead a normal life after. I had mine 5 years ago and my body is as if it never happened.

Wish you well xx

• Posted

Thank you for comment! Its encouraging to know that you had success with your surgery.
  • Posted

Kayla, stop eating and drinking NOW.  I almost didn't have my surgery because I was given the wrong information.  My surgery was scheduled for 8:45 am, and I had water with a pill, the night before at 8:30 pm.  The anathesiest [sp?] had a fit, and was concerned that there might be water in my esophagus.  They probably suctioned me out before surgery.  So, go by your 'gut' feeling....

• Posted

Good!!!  It was pretty intense for me, with the anathesiest running off to confer with the surgeon as to what they were going to do.  I have type 1 Achalasia, my esophagus is paralyzed, so there was a chance that the sip of water I took the evening before might be there.  Now here is a little humour.  The anath. kept asking me if I could 'feel' any liquid in my esophagus.  I told him that if I was to touch my toes I would know, as it would roll down my esophagus into my throat, etc.  So, he asked if I would mind getting out of the bed and doing that.  As I am leaning over, touching my foot, I hear a different, but familiar male voice say, 'Ah, wonderful, doing exercises before your surgery.  Great!'  It was the surgeon, who had come to talk to me!  Embarassing, but funny.  Nothing rolled down my throat...

• Posted

Hmmm well usually I can drink or eat meals and it'll be gone out of my esophagus before my next meal as long as I dont sit or lie down before it fully goes down, or wear clothing that puts pressure on my stomach area im usually good.

• Posted

We are all different, and it depends also on what 'type' of Achalasia that  you have.  I'm glad that your food/liquids move down for you, that is a 'plus' for you.  I know what you mean about the pressure on your stomach.  I bought some very 'roomy' lounge pants, for wearing after surgery!  I wish you very well for your surgery tomorrow. 

• Posted

Yes I definitely did the same. I purchased a few sweatpants for myself to have after surgery and thank you! smile

• Posted

You are welcome, and again, I wish you well for the surgery tomorrow.

Baggy shirts and loose-fitting sweats or lounge-pants are the way to go.  You may also find wearing a bra to be a bit difficult...I didn't wear one home from the hospital.  You will have some stitches/ dressings, and one of them will likely be right where the bottom of the bra, just under the rib-cage in the middle, sits.  Comfort is the key thing, for the next couple of weeks.  Again, I wish you well for tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.