Heller's Myotomy & diaphragm question

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi group, after suffering/managing  Achalasia type 1 for 14 months, I recently agreed with my Dr. to have the Heller's Myotomy with fundoplication. My concern is how will my diaphragm heal. I am a sax player in a rock band. I love it and it takes a lot of wind/breath control. Any input you could offer on heal time or experiences with breathing, playing sports, sax or anything else that takes breath control after surgery would be most appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You are probably going to feel very sensitive for a while, and they usualyl say six weeks for most things, but it would probably take lomger for the full strength to build up?   I know somebody who was back playing football not too long afterwards, but I do not know the exact time period this took.   I think it is probably best answered by the surgeon.
  • Posted

Hi Saxjean, I had the operation February, 2017. I am so thankful, because I can eat now! Just have to be conscientious about chewing food extremely well and drinking lots of water to wash it down! I waited about four years to have surgery and messed up my esophagus. It is dilated and truncated now so it's a bit more difficult to get food down! As far as breathing, I have no problems! Of course I don't do extreme exercises or play sax, but I don't believe you will have any problems!! You will be thankfull too. Just remember, that recuperation will take a while, be patient and make sure you do everything your surgeon tells you to do!! Good luck!

• Posted

Hello. I too, have type 1, Achalasia [paralyzed esophagus].   I think you need to ask your surgeon if the diaphragm will be involved in the Heller Myotomy & Fundoplication.  I had that surgery last November, and my diaphragm, as far as I know, was not involved.  Having said that, I am an ordained clergyperson, and so use my voice a lot for preaching and singing/chanting.  I have found at times, a little problem with 'breath, ' but I put that down to a lower level of energy now.  If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.  There is a Patient's Guide for Achalasia, that is offered online, through OPA [Osaphageal Patients Assoc.] out of the UK. 'Alan'will be able to give you the link for that [he is with OPA] and reads the posts on this Forum.  I am Canadian.

• Posted

As I have only just been diagnosed, I am not sure which type I have.  It came as a bit of a shock, so my surgeon has given me some time to digest the information given.  He seems to think surgery is my best option, and although he mentioned botox, he did not seem to have much faith in that.  So, can anyone explain the different types of  Achalasia???

• Posted

Alan from OPA, can direct you to a very helpful resource, 'A Patient's Guide to Achalasia' which you can download.  I found this resource to be extremely helpful..on p.12, there is information on the 3 different types of Achalasia. I have type 1, which means my esophagus is paralyzed, no movement at all.  I believe the other 2 types still have some sort of movement, and those who have 2 or 3, would be better to describe their type.  I have had a Heller Myotomy & Fundoplication surgery, Nov. 2016.  The 'guide' explains this well, as well as other possibilities, depending upon your 'type' and situation.  Botox is helpful for some people, and not for others.  I guess that is just like anything else in life.  This Forum is a good place to ask questions, and for support. 

• Posted

The download is from the achalasia page of the Oesophageal Patients Association website.

The lower oesophageal sphincter is surrounded by the muscles of the diaphragm and I believe it is these muscles that help to give the valve effect, but you would need to check this with your surgeon because my knowledge is not that detailed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.