Hellers Procedure and Fundoplication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am looking for peoples experience on having the Hellers Procedure and Fundoplication.  I am having it in over a months time but would like to know how you felt the next day after operation, the recovery process and how you are now?!

I hope you are all ok,

Thanks

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well this time next week it will be all over.  I'm worrying so much I'm gonna get a cold or something though before the operation and get cancelled which I'd be so upset about!!  I'm working all weekend too and can't get the Monday off so really hoping won't be too run down!!

Sorry for a random post but really getting worried I'll get cancelled!!

• Posted

I know the worry of getting a cold or something very well! Working with children I am surrounded by germs, I took vitamin C and zinc before any op to try and keep things away, no idea if it works really!!

I won't say relax because that's easy to say, harder to do.

Instead, think of me.....today I go back to work after 14 weeks off - had my Heller's in May half term, my sick leave ended last day of the summer term!

There...you didn't think about it for a few seconds did you?!!

I wish you all the very best x

• Posted

Really nervous now as operation tomorrow - can people answer me these questions:

Does it feel weird swallowing after operation or is it normal?

How did you feel on liquid diet?

Why am I so nervous all of a sudden?!

Jen

• Posted

Oooh good luck!!!

I was really nervous when I first ate, it was a small spoon of runny ready brek. It seemed OK, I drank a little water......no need because it had gone!! The weird thing was the fact it didn't get stuck!!

I was on sloppy rather than liquid diet, and weirdly enjoyed it as I knew it was the start of the healing process, and an easier future.

You're nervous because you're having a big operation, which will be the start of a new you.

I'll be thinking of you xx

• Posted

Did you have to have a leak test before you could eat/drink. How long after surgery could you eat/drink?
    • Posted

No tests. My surgery was 9am, was on liquid only the rest of that day, began sloppy diet the next morning.
  • Posted

Did the liquid go down ok? X
    • Posted

Yes, everything did......sloppy diet for 3 weeks (mash, yoghurts, smooth soup etc) then gradually introduced lumps. Now I eat what I like apart from bread, cake and other doughy consistency things as the Fundoplication doesn't like them. But, toast is fine.
  • Posted

Operation was done Wednesday and home today!! What medication was everyone on after?

I'm feeling generally ok just bit bloated n one of the incisions is a bit sore!! Other than that loving being home n on my soup and ensure diet!! Had icecream before too which was lovely!

Still nervous eating but getting used to it - occasionally need to swallow twice but apart from that ok :-)

• Posted

So glad you're home!!! I just had liquid paracetamol (like calpol). Tried liquid ibuprofen but it made me cough - oh wow that hurt!!

Take it easy, don't rush anything. You have a lot of healing to do.

• Posted

I'm on antibiotics as precaution, antisickness and omeprazole all soluble versions!!

Still on thin purée diet but hopefully only until I see consultant Tuesday!

Did you find you were bloated a lot n tight in chest at all?

• Posted

A bit bloated, I assume you had keyhole surgery? It's because they inflate your abdomen. Don't remember tightness, just soreness!!
  • Posted

Bit more personal question - how was your bowels after?!
    • Posted

Bloody awful!!! For 4 weeks I could only go if I used Dulcolax. It's a gentle laxative, it has a gentle reaction for me anyway. I think anything that is less gentle could be extra uncomfortable. My new 'regular' is less frequent than it used to be too.
  • Posted

Hi all

I'm feeling so much better after the Hellers procedure!! I'm still on mushy soft diet but want some different meal/snack ideas?!

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks!!

• Posted

So pleased you're feeling better!! I had yoghurts, rice pudding in pots.....pretty limited while on the sloppy diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.