Hello

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey i had surgery July 27..i broke both bones on my ankle.i have plates and screws..Im 26 and very active its driving me crazy that i cannot do anything for myself.Today mark my 3 week.My doc said i can put a little weight on my leg.i started off wit a walkin boot..i am having pain where my cut is it Normal????

Someone help please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shantell- I'm not a doctor, but it seems too early to be putting weight on your leg after having surgery with plates and screws, but I'm sure your doctor must know best for your injury. I can say, from reading post here for almost six months, that seems quite unusual to me.

I have heard lots of people say they feel pain for some time by their incisions, even though I didn't have it. I heard people recommend putting padding in their boots. 

• Posted

I agree Patti. I was about 8 weeks b4 I was allowed to partial weightbare in moonboot post surgery. That many put my foot on the ground while seated!

Scar sites- I had a bone graft, and plated fibula with 6 screws.

Anything rubbing was a pain. In the moonboot and cast I had extra padding. Incision site has to heal, like any cut. It takes time. I took liquid extra strength Vitamin C for 4 weeks.

Scar still aches, 6 months post op and weather effects it. Walking on all day on makes it ache too. Gotta get uses to it.

You need a Physio to guide you.

Very early to weight bare with such a major injury and surgery. Query them is my advice.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Hello patti

I think its weird to put weight on my ankle so soon.My doctor said i can and i also should use to towel to push my foot up so it wont be so stiff.

Thanks for the advice

• Posted

Hi Shantell. I broke my tibia and fibula and also had surgery (plates and screws). Seems strange that you can put slight weight on your ankle after only 3 weeks. I was nwb for 6 weeks and then only pwb. I felt pain in my incisions for a long while, so what you feeling seems to be normal, as long as you don't start running a fever or the pain is unbearable, then it could be an infection. I see you are in a walking boot, so you can check your incisions. I used to clean mine with a saline solution ( don't use cotton wool use swabs) and then slightly rubbed a antiseptic ointment on it. Ask your doctor. Once the incision has healed you can start massaging with a tissue oil. This is a trying time physically and emotionally, so keep yourself self busy with things like reading, movies, and hobbies. Have friends and family visit. Hope your recovery is speedy. Remain positive. Good luck and God bless.

• Posted

Hey Daphne, where has Patient Holland disappeared to?

Nothing for 2 months.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Hi, I have also seen nothing from her for ages, maybe she has left the site. I don't known if Patti has contact with her. How are you doing. Xxx

• Posted

Patti hasn't heard. She suggested you may have.

I'm trudging along. Baker's Cyst burst but left with torn muscle and weak knee.

Brake healing but bone soft. I've been pushing myself to carry on like normal, but very achey and sore around plate area. Given me new founded fears of how bone if fairing.

Named my All Terrain Walker, Johnny, Black Label. Lol.I don't drink, but I thought it needed a name. I can walk without it inside, but not outside for more than a few 100 metres, given my other leg is weak.

How are you going? Where is your recovery up to?🌞🌼🏃👣

@(*$*)@

• Posted

Lol love the name of your walker. Happy to see you are doing well. Are you taking some supplements to try strength your bones? My leg on the area around the plate was sore for a long while, and even now when it is very cold it is slightly sore in that area. Next month we go into spring, can't wait. I am doing well , I can do about 95% of what I used to before I broke my ankle. Keep pushing you have come a long way since you have been posting your recovery on this site. How is your husband doing? Xxx

• Posted

Thanks! I pass on my regards to Johnny!😁

My husband has brain trauma from landing on head on concrete and knocking himself when he broke his Scaphoid. Head tremors. Scary. Sensitivity to light, smell, sound, . Moody at times. Lost part of memory.

Getting a Medical Lawyer to challenge declined concussion from 9 months ago , so her can get a brain scan.

😥

@(°¥°wink@

• Posted

Thank you so much. On my 2nd visit my doctor told me i can put a little weight on my feet and that i also should use a towel to push my foot up.i havent put weight because i think that it is to soon..thanks
    • Posted

Hey daphne

I also think that it is to soon to put weight on it. Im scared to do anything i always think my incision will bust open. Im just so ready to get this over with thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Hi Shantell,

I broke both bones and have a plate and screws in too. I am not weight bearing yet. Next week I go for x rays to make sure the bones fused. Did your dr. X ray you as well? I am active too and this has been such a long wait but I have no choice.... grrr. I have been using Vashe Wound Solution and it has really helped speed along the healing process. That solution is remarkable! I would recommend it, or at least ask your dr. About using it.

• Posted

Hey dawn

Yes my doctor took a xray on my first visit after surgery everything was looking good..Its so depressing not being able to go and move like you want to the good thing about it is that i have have had on a walking boot since i broke my ankle so i can remove ot and exercise my ankle and message it..i hope u have a speedy recovery

• Posted

Well I peaked at my x rays today, like I know what I am looking at, lol. The breaks look like little lines now except for the one at the back above my heel. This one has a jagged little break still at the very top above the screw

I don't like it but I am hoping it will still be okay..... grrrrrr. I will know on Thursday and keep you posted. It's small, but not smooth. But I am worried about it now.

• Posted

It can be a disappointment looking at the x ray especially if you dont know what you are looking at..i was rushing things but it take time you just have to be patient. Thinks will work out.what did you doctor say?are you ina walking boot?
    • Posted

He won't see them until Thursday. Yea, I will just go by what he tells me. I should not have looked. But I am just going to be guarded about it now. I am nwb, in a boot tight now.

• Posted

Hi dawn, try not worry too much. My surgeon told me you can only see bone union on a x-ray from about eight to twelve weeks. They mainly check that the hardware is in place before that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.