Hello

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey every since my doctor told me i can start back walking which was yesturday i been putting a little weight at a time on my ankle so today i was able to walk without my crutches up and down my hallway iits long but not to long.I did it 4 times it doesn't hurt as bad as it did yesturday and i was limping it is normal to limp at the beginning answers please????

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shantell,

It sounds like you are doing great. Yes limping is normal. After I had a long day I still find myself limping off to bed. Not only is it normal in the beginning but it will happen from time to time. Especially when you start walking longer. Things start to ache. Keep up the good work and I am glad you are off to a good start.

• Posted

Im really afraid. Of that i do not want to limp but i know this is the beginning things will get better
  • Posted

I just started and have a limp too. Mine is pretty bad but I think it's normal.

• Posted

Hi Shantell,

Speaking for myself, I do limp.  I had surgery on May 13th.  I limp every single time I walk.  It's worse in the mornings when I first get up and then at night, because I think I get tight.  I use a cane but I can walk without a cane, however I definitly have a limp. 

I know that everyone is different and some people may only limp a few weeks.  Others, for months.  And others, for life.  But since it's only been about 4 months since my surgery, I'm not complaing!  LOL!

Beth

• Posted

Wow maybe u should soak your foot and massage your ankles things will get better for u some it take a min i hope thanks get better for u
    • Posted

Thanks Shantell!  My left ankle has been like this and I've had almost 12 weeks of physical therapy and I simply can't get the ROM back.  I quit PT just last week.  I simply can't keep going.  I got sick of going and plus, I was having to drive from work.  I guess it is what it is.  LOL!  I did love my physical therapist though.  She was really good and it was obvious she was at a job where she really cared about her patients.   I bet before you know it, you'll one day realize that you're not limping anymore!  biggrin

Beth

• Posted

Thanks so much ...dont give up keep going to pt...i am my own physical therapist my doctor said i dont need therapy so i just look at youtube videos
  • Posted

I limped for several months too. There are great videos online to show proper walking gait that can help you decrease your limp: longer steps, swinging arms as you walk etc. It's good to slow down if you are limping too much, so you don't throw your alignment off and hurt your hips and knees. After a few months of walking, the limp slowly disappears. I haven't limped for several months, probably since month 5 or so. I'm in month 7 now. Every week you will notice improvement if you work hard at it. 

• Posted

It would only be normal to limp however, limping is never a good thing. Rather than limping use a crutch, opposite to the injured leg/ankle. Limping now could leave you with a limp for a long time. Take your time, if you feel pain then maybe relax a bit. Use 1 crutch until you're ready. The worst thing you could do is get an injury now that will effect you your whole life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.