Hello

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm John and I've been suffering from back pain of late. I don't want to continue with this pain anymore. I can't lift heavy objects, sit for too long without feeling pain at my lower back, I hope joining this group will help me get better.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

best of luck, I get pain shots as often as they can give them to keep from taking to many pain pills, I take Horizant at night to help me sleep at night, as long as I get a good nights sleep I can usually take the pain.  Have you had a MRI yet?  to see what is causing the pain.
  • Posted

if just being on this site would relieve me of my pain I would be thrilled. LOL but seriously, I have been suffering from back pain for over 11 years, so you can imagine how sick and tired I am of having the pain.

But in your case, your pain is still considered acute, meaning that it has been a problem for less then 3 months. At least I'm assuming. So right now is the time you stand a good chance of turning it around.

First off, whatever you do, do not stop moving. What I mean is don't go to bed and stay there because it hurts. This will only make things worse. You will want to go to see your GP who will likely take an X-ray of you back to rule out certain problems. He/she will probably recommend physical therapy to you and you need to take PT. Again, that will give you safe exercises and stretches to do that will help your back get better. You will also want to use ice on your back every day or as often as you can do it. 20 minutes at a time. Also you will want to take ibuprofen to help relieve the pain and inflammation. But be sure to ask your Dr first as I am not a Dr.

If after doing all of this religiously, you still don't get any relief, then you will want to see you GP again and ask for a referral to a neurologist. The neurologist will take an MRI of your back to try and determine what's going on with your back. If there is something there that can be fixed with surgery, he will tell you that. Then it will be up to you to decide if you want to try surgery. Regardless of whether you chose surgery, you will also want a referral to a pain management clinic. The doctor there will help you to manage your pain. This does not necessarily mean opiates either. In fact the Dr should start you out on non-narcotic medication to relieve the pain. Gabapintin and pregabilin are two that the Dr might try. If and when it ever comes to you having to take opiates, please research it and make the decision carefully. A lot of unformed people will tell you not to take them, but those people are the ones that do not know how bad back pain can be. I am not suggesting that you take them, just that you consider every aspect before you do.

I hope I've helped you at least a little bit. Try to stay positive. This is hard to do when you are faced with pain 24/7/365. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hey ntia. Is it "just pain" that you're feeling or do you get any numbness and or tingling in the legs also?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.