Hello .. advice welcome

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I am currently signed off work with a CS flare up. It started last week

with pins and needles, severe head ache and a numb left arm. I have

suffered with intermittent neck pain for a number of years, but since

recently being diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my hands and

ankles, I seem to be falling apart!

I am on a cocktail of medication ... tramadol, co-codamol, diazepam and

naproxen ... but I am not sure how long things are going to take to settle

down. Doc is arranging an MRI scan as possibility CS has progressed.

I am worried about work .... should I start a PIP claim, or one for ESA ...

I love my job but can't physically manage it (I am a housekeeper/butler on a private estate) ..

Any advice welcome ..

0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted


               please accept my sympathy with your condition,I too have C/S but not to your extent and I was retired when mine started,but I am sure work played a big part in it,as my work entailed a good bit of phisical work.

      I know it is difficult balancing work and feeling fit and able to do it,I finished work ten years before retirement age due to illness,angina and arthritus,and as I say my job entailed a lot of phisical activity.

       As for claims,I can only say I would go into what you are entitled to from the benefits agency,and if you can manage on reduced income,go for it,when I was working I was getting worse and I didn't want to end up unable to get about.

      It certainly was a struggle,money wise and I had to start receiving my private pensions I had been paying into.

      Remember Sonia,health comes before any wealth and it is no use putting yourself through pain if it can be avoided.

      I must seem to be rambleing on but I hope it helps.

  • Posted

    Hi Sonia

    Going by what you describe,  I think it would probably be wise to start a claim,  whether PIP or ESA would depend on the severity and disability as you see it.  You'll definitely need some written backup from your GP or consultant to support your claim,  and be prepared,  it's not always easy to convince the testers of the merits of your case.  Although C/S is seen as a recognised condition for disability benefits,  they tend to see it as a fluctuating condition....so, decisions can go either way.  Might be best to persevere with job in the meantime,  until you know for sure whether you're eligible or not.  

    Good luck

  • Posted

    Hi Sonia 

    my pain has got really worse and is getting unbearable i work full time but struggling really bad with it, i have gabepentin and zormorph to try and ease pain but doesnt do much. i never knew that this condition could be so much pain i am thinking of going down the esa pip route as the pain is to bad across neck, shoulders down top of back and in hands, driving me mad been ongoing for over a year with chronic pain x


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up