Hello All Having tried 3 PPIs omeprazole, Lansoprazole a...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All

Having tried 3 PPIs omeprazole, Lansoprazole and Protium, all of which caused unpleasant side effects, my GP decided that I may be over sensitive to these and I am now on Ranitidine 300mg. However, although the effects aren't as bad as with the PPIs I still get a lumpy tight throat feeling, some chest pain and nausea which is very unpleasant. Does anyone else experience this?

I'm beginning to wonder if it really is the medication or just me and my anxiety. A response from anyone who has had a similar experience would be appreciated.

Best wishes to you all

Mare

[i:ad2da351af]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ad2da351af]

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mare,

I too have had unpleasant side-effects with Domperidone (Motillium) feelings of nausea,feeling dizzy and bad abdominal pain.Hope this helps hun

Keep well

Debs xxxx

[i:fee3338503]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fee3338503]

• Posted

hi, just to let you know i also have tried all meds, and all three also gave me bad side effects, from nausea, headaches, hair loss, weight gain, colic pain, the list is endless.You feel like you are going mad !! The only comfort i gained was to find this site, and read that other people have the same experiences and maybe you are not going mad after all !!so hang in there dont despair, and make the most of your symtom free days when you get them! Iam going to try some health shop remedies, or maybe homepathic. watch this space! it must be better than drugs and all there side effects.Good luck and stay positive! my motto is , there is always someone worse off than yourself!
  • Posted

Hi mel,so sorry to hear that you have had a bad time of it lately.I too have suffered for may years with this illness and at times it has driven me to the very edge.Here is a list of my symptoms in the hope that I can help someone diagnose themselves with this illness:

Constant dull ache turning into frequent bouts of agonizing stabbing pain under my rib cage

Constant heartburn with acidic taste in the back of my throat

Difficulty swallowing

Bloated abdomen

Cannot eat large meals

Breathless during exercise at the gym and sometimes when having a short walk

Sometimes get a hoarse throat and flu symptoms

Can feel food being pushed around my bowel,like a feeling of being stuck in a place before it moves on

Hope this helps

Medication taken

Alverine citrate (Spasmanol)-currently taking these for IBS

Losec -took these and they made me ill

Raberzole Sodium (Pariet) took these for about 4 years but become ineffective due to long periods of use

Tagamet

Zantac

Nexium 40mg was told to stop taking it after the ph test due to it being ineffective for me

Domperidone was told to take this for a week to see how I went on,I took them for 4 days and stopped taking them due to feeling awful and having dizzy spells,stomach cramps and bouts of sickness

Cimitdine

Omperazole

Parcetamol for the stabbing pains when they are bad

• Posted

Hi there, have you done an endoscopy?

And by the way, is your problem bile reflux? If it is, acid suppression therapy such as PPIs or the Ranitidine family of drugs (I think they were called H2RA or something like that. Antacids in general) may make your condition worse. Please consult your Gastrointernologist.

• Posted

I mentioned endoscopy since you talked about difficulty swallowing. I do not want to make you worried. This may be a symptom of reflux. But still, you'd better do an endoscopy.
  • Posted

Hi Mel, yes I really feel for you! I too get the lump in the throat, in fact I've got it now, but I wasn't aware of any side affects of Motillium, I thought it was supossed to suppress nausea, not increase it, but thanks for the infomation, it may be an avenue I look down myself! Wishing you all the very best, hope you get some releif soon

Colin :D

• Posted

Having taken Omeprazole which gave me immediate mood change definitely down and Lansoprazole which affects regularity of bowel usually when one stops taking it. Occassional mood change but less so with Lansoprazole than Omeprazole. Neither has changed the indigestion which causes breathing difficulties bloating etc.

Still suffering but apples are an answer a natural antacid they really do help and plenty of water. :roll:

I do wonder what the medical profession are on apart from commission.

So many people now suffering with digestive disorders I wonder if it is not down to the chemicals in the water supply ie chlorine etc? Stress etc.

• Posted

Stress is a major factor
  • Posted

Hi there, have you done an endoscopy?

And by the way, is your problem bile reflux? If it is, acid suppression therapy such as PPIs or the Ranitidine family of drugs (I think they were called H2RA or something like that. Antacids in general) may make your condition worse. Please consult your Gastrointernologist.

I mentioned endoscopy since you talked about difficulty swallowing. I do not want to make you worried. This may be a symptom of reflux. But still, you'd better do an endoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.