Hello All !!! Update on ETD surgery.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Thanks to all for your concern and questions. First off, I Iive in NJ and my Insurance carrier is Horizon BC/BS NJ Direct. ( I'm a retired state employee ). The snag in my case with insurance carrier, is that the procedure is so new they don't even have a way to code it. After a few calls from the ENT's  office saying that this was medically necessary, as I had exhausted all other options, and that my life was basically in the toilet due to the ETD, it was approved. I was told by many to emphasize how drastically my life had changed because of ETD ( i.e. depression, anxiety, anti-social etc. ) and that has an immediate and positive impact on Insurance approval. As to my progress, I'm sorry to say that there has been little, if any improvement thus far ( 4 weeks this Friday 8/4 since surgery. ) Doc told me to give it 4-6 weeks, as some get immediate relief, others 4-8 weeks, and some not at all. I try to stay optimistic but I'm beginning to feel the surgery was not successful. If this is true, Doc suggested trying the surgery again at a later date as some respond to a second surgery successfully. If thats a bust he said we'd have to approach it from another angle ????? Still, the Xanax is, thankfully , assisting me with coping with the symptoms and I highly recommend to those of you still having issues with ETD, to speak to your GP if this is an option for you. That's about all for now. I will keep posting with results, progress etc. Hopefully next time I'll have better news.

?Thanks agaian for your concerns,

?Merlin

?Trenton NJ USA 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Merlin

Thank you for updated us on your ETD procedure. I'm so sorry to hear that it was unsuccessful. I also had it done and know of several and it wasn't successful for them either.

Prior to mine, I heard 80-85% success rate. Now I'm hearing 56%. 😢

I am gonna try it 1 more time in September. I also am reading up on another procedure where they put stents in the eustachian tubes. There has to be an answer out there to help all of us with this debilitating condition.

• Posted

Hey Merlin!!!

I believe we both had the same doctor? Havertown? 

I also had the balloon dialation! 

• Posted

Hi Merlin, i am sorry it didn't work for u..i had to have the surgery twice to have it be successful. I had success the first time, i woke up from surgery with my e tubes open!  Then i got a bad cold, and they closed... i kept trying to pop them every 5 minutes, as I usually did being so desperate.  So i had a second surgery..and yes, they would close occasionally, but i never tried to force them open again....and they have been open for 6 yrs now....there is hope....stay positive!!! 

• Posted

I take Klonopin which is simlar to Xanax.  I am a LOT better than I was from Jan - April but still have problems.  If my ears are driving me crazy I take a Klonopin.  It's not a dramatic change like whoa!  I just notice after a while that I'm not as bothered.  They think my ETD is due to TMJ and tight musles with spasms.  The Klonopin also relaxes the muscles.  

I have federal BCBS as well so it's good to know I could possibly get the surgery covered if necessary.  I am getting ready to try and get them to approve a tummy tuck!  

• Posted

Hey Ann does the Klonopin work for your jaw? Have you noticed less symptoms? 
    • Posted

The Klonopin works.  If my muscles get tight I take a klonopin and they loosen up.  I am going into day 4 without major ear problems! 
    • Posted

Hello, is Klonopin a muscle relaxant ?  4 days and no problem, wow, that's great for you.

Anne

• Posted

No, it's not an actual muscle relaxer but it is in the same class with Xanax and Ativan. It relaxes you which in turn relaxes your muscles. It's Considered a Benzodiazepine and a sedative used to treat anxiety and panic disorders.  

• Posted

What sort of surgery did you receive merlin ?  If it was the tubes, that's the reason over here in England that my ENT won't use them on me.  Also, we can't keep goig under anaesthesia.  That goes for Balloon Dialation too.

Anne

• Posted

To all.....

?I had the balloon dilation of the Eustachian tube, and it was performed by Dr. Satyen Undavia, who is associated with Pinnacle ENT. I realize undergoing anesthesia is not  something you should do frequently, but I'm ready to try surgery again whenevr DR. Undavia thinks it's been long enough between surgeries. I also have wondered why not a stent also ? Makes sense but I dont know how viable this is. I'm goging to look into it further after hearing from all of you. Trying to stay upbeat as much as I can. I sincerely believe that in time This will pass.

?Thanks again to all of you for your support, concerns, questions, and well wishes . 

?Peace,

?Merlin  

• Posted

Hello Merlin and so glad that procedure seems to have worked for you hope hope it lasts.

Regards Anne

• Posted

Dr. Undavia is my doctor also!

I would also like to have the dialation done again and I would love to know if he's going to do the stent procedure once it becomes FDA approved! 

• Posted

Dear Merlin.sad to hear that surgery hasn't helped.I just hope that if you believe in anything religious or supernatural that that might help you to adjust.I've been to a few "mindfulness" classes & have found that a good mindset is as good as anything else.The medics just don't seem to get the plot at all.

Think positively & best of luck

Michael

• Posted

Hi Merlin.  I had the surgery too without success.  Have you tried tubes?  That helped me immensely.  Unfortunately the last few weeks, I'm experiencing an increase in symptoms.  I have to have an adenoid revision due to it blocking one of the eustachian tubes.  The doctor is going to do the balloon dilation again as well.  Good to hear about the insurance as I also have NJ Direct.  When I had it done in 2015 it was not covered at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.