Hello and update

Posted , 5 users are following.

It seems a long time since I was here... Still on my long journey with Pred.... up and down as they say but beginning to understand my own body a little better... I have been on this journey now for 5 years.

Just before Christmas I was on 8mg and things began to worsen again. I didn't want to increase if I could help it but was feeling awful so it made no sense to stay where I was. I then remembered reading on here a few years back about someone splitting their dose... I started to take 4mg in the morning and 4mg in the evening and things improved. I stayed on 8mg until the middle of January and then started to reduce again. Unfortunately I have increased pain again, not sure if it is withdrawal or PMR pain but have gone back to 10 to settle it down and now on day 2 and its is feeling a lot better. I have realised that 8mg is probably where my limit is for now. Plan to head back there soon but will sit there for a good few months before I try to reduce again.

Dr is happy to continue prescribing pred and Rhemy appointments have stopped due to Covid. Not sure they can do much anyway. I have now seen 2 and both have been very unhelpful. Waiting to see a third but think the waiting list is now a year long! I feel this is now my journey and beginning to understand my own body so not sure what a Rheumy could do anyway now and less bothered about seeing one.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else wants to try a split dose... it worked for me...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hi I know how you are feeing about doctors not very helpful I was on preds for ten months starting on dose of 40mg after a few months started tapering slowly been of them six weeks now sorry forgot to say I was taking them for polymalgia have days feeling OK then others feeling awful don't want to go back on preds so guess I will just after ride it out

• Edited

You will find almost all users have migrated over to HealthUnlocked community. This forum (Patient) used to be excellent but some ill-advised technical "improvements" caused nearly everyone to leave.

From my point of view, I'm in a very similar position. After an initial uneventful taper from 15 to about 1.5 in my first 2 years on pred I spent the next three years or so at or around 2 mg with a brief flirtation last year with zero. Things did not go well afterwards and after many months I have discovered most of my pain is NOT due, as I thought , to osteoarthritis, but rather to a flare of PMR. For several weeks I've been at my highest dose since the beginning and having difficulty dropping lower so it looks like a long slow taper from current 8 mg back, I hope, to well under 5 if not all the way back to 2.

Interesting that a split dose has been helpful to you. If I have problems tapering I may give it a try but in the past I always found pred lasted me through the 24 hours. I use the "Dead Slow Nearly Stop" taper plan, but this is not usually necessary when dealing with a normal flare. As I'll likely be stuck here for a while longer I may have no choice. As they say, "It isn't slow if it works".

• Edited

Hi Anhage, thanks for letting me know. I have been on Heath Unlocked but not found the group I need yet... I did think it had gone a little quiet here.

I will see if I can find you all on Heath unlocked... Good luck with your taper!

I agree I don't have much faith in Rheumy's to be honest... I am looking after myself it seems and the doctor is happy with that so will continue as I am for now at least.

• Edited

If I were a cynical person I would say that the people who run this forum are hell bent on closing it down. I find it very sad.

• Posted

Under the circumstances I think they should. It's likely more harmful to patients to keep a moribund forum going where they won't get the same support as they would with a properly active one. It's a pity. I always used to like this one better than HU, much easier to keep track of things. I know I miss more than half the posts on HU because I don't have enough energy to find the new ones. Here I always know exactly what's new, and always did even when it was lively! I know I could ask for notifications but that filled my inbox so I stopped them.

• Edited

I totally agree. I find the notifications totally impossible, not so bad if it is a new post but if it is a reply they just give two names, I remember the group not everyone's name. I go to more than one group but haven't a clue what group they are talking about. I suspect that the programmers have never actually tried to use the system. I do wish they would ho back to the old system. I thought it was better than HU.

• Edited

Also, if your doctor is content to let you manage your own taper (likely understands none of us want to take more pred than we need) I would avoid seeing a rheumatologist. They may be good, but too often they are keen on using other medications to try to get a patient to taper faster and it all becomes more complicated, and probably harder on the system than a simple sensible pred taper!

• Edited

I never saw a Rheumatologist. My MD has let me determine how much pred to take for the last five years, now 3 1/2 mgs which is where I have been for half a year. I have found that reducing by 1/2 mg slowly when reaching 10 mgs has worked for me.

• Posted

I don't rate the Rheumatologist myself. Much prefer the support of my Dr too. Will start reducing from 10mg again soon...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.