Hello everybody I am 5 days tkr. I am really struggling with lifting my leg up onto the bed

Posted , 18 users are following.

i feel such a wimp.  I was shown in hospital to straighten my leg and lift. But instead I have asked my husband to help lift my leg as I was getting myself into a panic trying and not succeeding.   If I sit in a chair I cannot lift my leg onto the footstool without using my other foot to lift it up.  Am I not working hard enough at it? 

All your posts are such a comfort as I am trying to see what is my game plan in taking charge of "the leg" which is swollen and heavy thigh to toe and I seem to be keeping up and icing most of the time.  

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No you are ok.  Couldn't lift my leg either at your stage. Husband helped me.
  • Posted

Hi Sue.. If you have a  scarf or an old crepe bandage, loop it under your operated foot and it makes it easier to lift.. I used this from Day 4 and for quite a long while afterwards. It's really helpful as well to get in and out of the car. 
  • Posted

Susan, I am seven weeks post op and still can't lift my leg without assistance.
  • Posted

I have to admit that at five days I couldn't move the damned thing at all!  I shouldn't worry about asking for a bit of help to move the leg at this stage . .there will be plenty of time when you're feeling a bit stronger both emotionally and physically!  Just keep trying to move it. My surgeon said you may try to move it five hundred times with no luck, but perhaps on the 501st it will!  Not sure if it was that many, but in the end it moved!
  • Posted

I could only lift my leg with the help of a crepe bandage, about 3 mtrs folded in length and I used this around my foot by pulling hard...It was the only way I could get into the car from hospital..   I had this when I had my left knee done 7 years ago....didn't throw it awayeek   must have known I would need it sometime.   I kept one in the bedroom so I could lift the leg onto the bed, and lift out when needed.  One physio in the hospitalgave me a length of crepe this time specially for this. The next physio in hospital told me to throw it away....NO.... you will be able to lift your leg with no problem, you are only 5 days as yet...  it is painful, uncomfortable but persivere..  it will come right.  Take your medication at all times and don't worry, it will be strong enough to lift of its own accord and you will be surprised at how this makes you feel, another acheivement met.

• Posted

Thank you all so so much, I have just read all of your lovely post whilst crying with relief, I feel you have thrown me a rope to climb up as I was beginning to doubt myself at such an early time on this journey.   I will read everybody's posts as and when and hope I can help and encourage someone as you have done for me today . 
    • Posted

This is a great site Susan I found it before my op and has been a godsend   As everyone on here knows what you are going through and you get great advice and support take care 
    • Posted

ey susan ul be doing lots more crying before you get to the end its part and parcel but were all here going through the same thing!!!!!!
  • Posted

Goodness Susan,  five days is very very early.  Just keep trying, a tiny bit better each day and you will get there.  Good luck 
  • Posted

This was what I found to be the most bizarre thing!  I used my good leg to lift the new knee one.  My husband and I amused ourselves with me sitting on the sofa with my leg extended trying to make it lift and only achieving a slight twitching of the foot - it really is the most odd sensation to have your brain sending the "lift" instruction and nothing happens!
    • Posted

with you on that one ! bizzare is the right word, its almost as if your leg and brain are no longer connected. It does come albeit slowly, carry on laughing it is way way better than tears,
  • Posted

HI SUSAN !.....THIS IS HOW I DID IT ,I USED THE BELT FROM MY ROBE ,LOOP IT AROUND THE BOTTOM OF YOUR FOOT  ,HOLD EACH  END IN EACH HAND .PULL IT SNUG TO MOVE YOUR LEG AROUND .IT IS VERY EARLY IN THE PROCESS FOR YOU...SO DONT BEAT YOURSELF FOR BEING UNABLE TO DO THINGS...YOU HAVE A LOT OF HEALING TO DO...MY SURGEON TOLD ME SOME THINGS COULD TAKE UP TO A YEAR...BEST WISHES FOR PATIENCE ,AND REST      ANITA FROM BOSTON

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.