Hello Everyone.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I folks, I have just been diagnosed with Fibro and now just waiting to see consultant at hospital. I think it is great that I have found this support network as I find Doctor's etc not much help. The main problem i have is the tiredness, boy do I have to push myself some days to get things done. I am only up for about two hours when I feel i want to go back to bed. Anything I have been given by doctor to combat pain etc just makes the tiredness so much worse. Anyone else found they have trouble with medication? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I use no drugs for the Fibro issue I was given in 1999....

I truly believe it's a big basket of Stuff we need to address and the Fibro drugs pushed on folks don't address the issues...

Thyroid, Adrenals and big ones.

And too many folks are told by their MD's they have "normal" thyroid labs, well I heard that one for 10 yrs when I suspected low thyroid in 1991....and it wasn't until 2002 that I had my osteopath put me on Armour thyroid and 10 yrs of depression lifted in 4 days.....what a waste of years...

I also deal with bodywide OA so that slows me down and now a messy bunch of complications from a hip replacement....

Foods are critical for everything, and less carbs and sugars the better overall...

Some fruit but again not a lot.

On days when I need some extra energy I use DRibose in some water for a lift....I'm in the U.S. so alternatives are my mainstay for my health issues.

I have my sleep remedy and I sleep good....wake up stiff everyday, but it would be some kind of miracle that I don't believe will hit me to get rid of stiffness in this old body.

Good luck and do your research and don't fall for too many of those drugs MD's push, they can be so harmful.....j

• Posted

I'm new to this site too but may I say the good people on this forum have helped me so much with kindness and good advice..so you'll have support here hun..the meds I'm on sound the same as yours they make me fall asleep at the drop of a hat and slur my words. I'v got to the point where I'm thinking well what do the meds do for me? I'm still in pain and I'm still dreadfully tired..so what do they give me..at the moment not a lot. Do you feel the same.?
  • Posted

Hi Mags

I think it's great that you have joined the forum now as I wish I had done it sooner however I only discovered this forum recently. I love this site as everyone is so supportive, respectful and proactive which is key. My advice would be to take what works for you and accumlulate your own individual pain management programme. I have more energy at the beginning of the day and when I was on pain meds Amitryptiline it knocked me out cold ha ha so I learnt to continue to liaise closely with my G.P. to allow my body to heal and rest before slowly reducing my amount. I now manage it with heat and ice, keeping my joints warm when the temperature drops (for me a it is always below 20 degrees). I kept a diary so I would highly recommend this as you can be really proactive in your approach to healing yourself when you know what your triggers may be and how you dealt with them previously as well as read to remind yourself you will and do have good days too.

Keep doing what you are doing.

All the best.

E

• Posted

Hi Mags,

Just been recently diagnosed also. This group is really good, and has helped me a lot. One of the key things I have realised is that you need a Doctor who is interested in this condition, and has done some research. Luckily I have. He has put me on Amitriptylene, which does help me to sleep more restfully, tho does make me drowsy in the mornings. I now take 50mg at about 5pm, and that means I can get up and go to work most mornings.

I did ask for more painkillers, but he said that is not the solution as they don't always work for long and have horrible side effects. I was disappointed, but from reading posts on this site, I could see he was right.

He said CBT was the way forward, and wanted me to try this, before he prescribed anything else. Have you or anyone else tried this?

Wishing you all the best in your journey

Anne (Portchester, Hants)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.