Hello Everyone

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my name is Jan i am 56 and i would love to chat with you and share your thoughts, i have asthma and copd and also a degenerative spinal problem where by my discs are crumbling, i am well aware that i need to loose weight but it is just getting the right frame of mind.

I have a lung capacity of a 86 year old as like i said i am only 56.

I go for spirometer tests every 6 months and i am on steriods and antibiotics when required, i have 3 inhalers anda nebuliser which i add 2 different nebuls to it.

I am registered disabeled for mobility which is a great help and have a blue badge.......God i am making myself sound like an old wrinkly.......i am not really, i practically have every thing under control as i have emergency stock of medication at all times.

I know my limitations and i try and stick by them, but i hate it when people expect you to do mormal things and it is just not possible, but i hate making a fuss so it is not there fault i guess.

Well thats my story does any one want to share theres.

I am single so if there are any genuine Gentlemen out there that does not play games or are looking to chat please feel free to make contact.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan

I am not a gentleman but I would like to ask you not to give up.

There is always a tiny little bit you can do to improve your conditions, every day.  I know how difficult it is to motivate oneself...  Try, please, as it's not over 'til the fat lady sings...  I would deal with your weight first as you might feel much better if you win that battle...

I have suffered from COPD for the past twenty years and it is getting worse.  I was hospitalised three times last Christmas and couldn't move from my bed, back at home, for four months.

Do not loose courage!  I repeat: a little improvement every day goes a long way!  Be strong!  Your body is very tough and can get a lot of punishment... and still recover.  Think for yourself first, as doctors as dealing with big a numbers of patients they don't have so much time to give individual advice.  You know your own body best.  Listen to doctors, of course, but think for yourself, too.  Even if you fail one day, try again the next day!

And, remember, science is coming out with new solutions and cures all the time so hang on in there!  You are young!  But nobody will be able to help you unless you help yourself.

All the best, Monique 

• Posted

Thank you very much for those wise words i take them on board.....I hope you are feeling better now 
  • Posted

Hi Jan,

I'm a 62 year old female and I'm fairly new to all this as I was only diagnosed a couple of months ago with stage 2 COPD. AS my lung capacity is 55% I guess I'm very close to stage 3. I'm sure I've had COPD for at least 2 years before diagnosis but I was one of them that sat on the fence hoping it would be alright. I used to smoke but gave up just over two years ago.

I'm in the UK and think I've got a fantastic medical team helping me. I go for a test in August to see if I need ambulatory oxygen which my COPD nurse thinks I need and them I start pulmonary rehab in September. They are waiting until the oxygen is sorted and will then get me to see the pulmonologists. In the meantime I have bought the exercise handbook from BLF and have just started gently doing them at home.

I have found this a fantastic site. Everyone is so knowledgable and helpful. I'm sure you'll get lots of encourage meant from here.

Take care, Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda I have recently been told I have COPD at 56% but just given a blue inhaler with no information have found out things from this site & internet.Stopped smoking last september.I am 58. I rarely become breathless and have not needed my inhaler (as yet) Im scared, have a breathing test end of the month. cannot believe my COPD is so advanced as i dont seem to be suffering as bad as i read others are. Hope to get to know more when i see the COPd nurse on 24th. Take Care Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.