Hello Fellow Bunion Haters

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my surgery yesterday at 1:00pm. Its now almost 7:00pm the next day and I still don't have feeling in a majority of the area of my foot that was numbed. Including most of my toes as well as the incision site. I'm wondering at what point should I be concerned that I cannot feel most of my foot. Is it fairly normal to have no feeling for this length of time??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's perfectly normal I had my surgery 9 weeks ago and due to go back to work next and parts of my big toe and along scar line is still numb. Don't panic. Hope recovery goes well and be patient take lots of painkillers and rest
  • Posted

Hi Betty,

Connie is right. My surgeon phoned me the day after my surgery and when I expressed concern that my whole foot is still num, he told me that the anaesthetic block could last up to 48 hours. It was just over 24 hours when the drugs wore off and the pain started. Anticipate it and take the pain killers before the drugs wear off as it took at least 3 hours to relieve the pain.

It will be a month on 13th of Jan since my surgery and I still can't feel my 3rd toe and the top of my big toe below the nail. I'm due to see him on Tuesday to replace my fibreglass cast for another 4 weeks before I'm even allowed an air boot. I'm getting a lot of tingling in my foot which makes me think that the feelings are slowly coming back. I can't wait to see what is inside my cast and the X-ray of my foot.

Make sure you follow their post op instruction to a T.

Veronica

• Posted

Hello Betty, I agree start taking the painlillers whether your foot is numb or not. My nerve block wore off about 30hrs post-op. Some ops result in nerve damage which I believe is rarely permanent but can take ages to resolve. Surgeons generally monitor this. Good luck with your recovery. I'm having my stitches out today (day 14) - looking forward to seeing my foot!
  • Posted

Hi ladies,

I am just over 4 weeks post op from a Scarf Osteotomy on the NHS, general anaesthetic but no 'nerve block.' I am only feeling mild discomfort and tingling now. Even in the first few days I only used paracetomol and ibuprofen, and the first night was the only time I would put my pain level above a 3 out of 5.

I suggest just resting, keeping your foot still, applying ice if desired ( I did not). Try not to get worked up unnecessarily, , ie anticipating pain - it will surprise you, a lot of it is in the mind. A more natural approach could help you get thru this more quickly and avoid prescription painkillers!

I do not have a very high pain threshold, but am very reluctant to put something in my body that could have nasty side effects, at the very least make me feel yuck, at worst, slow down my recovery. Realistically speaking,most of us women have endured far worse!

• Posted

Hey thank you so much for your responses! I feel better about the lack of feeling now. I was told to start the pain meds the night of the surgery, which I did....I just felt it was a waste so I stopped when I realized I still had no feeling. It's been almost 48 hrs now, so I will begin the pain meds again before the nerve block wears off. I am also looking forward to seeing the results after bandages are removed. Best of luck to you in your recovery! smile
  • Posted

Alice, I applaud you for being able to control your physical pain with your mind, but personally coming from the medical profession myself, I would adhere to the professionals advice. It is for your benefit, comfort and speedy recovery. I appreciate that everyone is different, but my prescription was only to take high strength Ibuprofen 3x day for 2 days and maximum 8 co-codamol for 5 days depending on the level of pain or your tolerance. As it was I only needed to take 4 a day. In addition, I was prescribed Heparin injections daily for 60 days whilst I have a fibreglass cast on to prevent any thrombosis. Unfortunately, I did not start taking the pain meds when I was supposed to start, ie the morning after my surgery and instead waited when I felt pain.

My advice is to follow the professionals as if something goes wrong, the first thing the will look at is "did you follow your post op instructions"

Good luck with the pain control Betty.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.