Hello fellow molluscumites. Looking for some encouragement.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 44yo male. Got MC back in May, I think. Diagnosed in late August. Started treating in early September. So, if my guesses are correct, I've had this stuff for about 5 months and I've been treating it for about 2 months. Been using a combination of tea tree oil and iodine, occasional popping, and going to the derm every three or four weeks for some topical treatment called dibutylester, which I think has little or no effect. Results have been mixed. I've got rid of most, but others are popping up. Plus, the leftover scarring/discoloration is terrible and takes forever to fade. Pretty sure I got infected at the gym since the first lesions showed up a couple of months after I started going there every day and I guess my hygiene practices weren't the best. Prior to that, I always exercised at home. My entire epidermis seems to be going crazy now. I have terrible folliculitis, acne, and rash breakouts everywhere, in addition to the MC. It's revolting. And now it's really impacting my marriage, since I refuse to have normal sex with my wife for fear of infecting. I can't concentrate on work at all. I spend all day every day just reading about this crap and drifting off into depression, anxiety, and distraction.

I welcome any tips on treatment, and I'd love any ideas anyone has on how to get my head screwed back on straight. : ) Mentally, I am a wreck. Thanks! Sending empathy and good vibes to everyone out there who is dealing with this crap.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hey, I am so sorry that you are also dealing with this horrible virus. If it helps at all, there are others (like myself) who are going through the exact same thing that you are. I understand how this virus can make you feel so alone and depressed. My whole life revolves around this stupid virus which is crazy because only two people in my life know about it so it's like living a silent nightmare. Similar to you, I no longer have a normal sex life (WHICH SUCKS) because it just gives me anxiety for the fear that I will spread it more. Luckily, my boyfriend seems to be immune since we have been dating for 6 years and he has never contracted it but it's still really depressing that I'm unable to be confident with my body during my prime years (I'm 22 yrs old). On a more positive note, the best thing you can do is keep up with treatment and try to strengthen your immune system to the best of your ability. If you prefer to not continuously go to the doctor (like me), I recommend trying podofilox (prescription) or ~90% trichloroacetic acid (amazon). Both of them are effective treatments and will not leave too much scarring if done carefully. If you're interesting in trying either of those out, I can definitely explain to you how I use them. But anyways..whenever you're feeling down just remember that you're not alone in all of this! Try to stay positive through this battle because luckily it is not life threatening and it will eventually end.

• Posted

Thanks Ally. Yeah, the loneliness has been terrible. I didn't expect it would be this bad. That's excellent your boyfriend has avoided it. I have not tried podofilox or trichloracetic acid, but I looked them up and do seem like a good way to go. I am dealing with a terrible case of folliculitis on top of the MC, so I've been really crushed just trying to figure out what's what. It's hard to remind myself that this is ultimately not harmful to the body and that it will go away. Let's hang in there!

• Posted

Just an update: I am by nature a little pessimistic. So I am forcing myself to write down a little bit of good news. I haven't seen a confirmed new bump in about ten days, and the last bumps that did come up are pretty much gone after just a couple of weeks. I didn't do much to knock them out either, just a few applications of the TTO/iodine tincture. I know how likely it is that I'll see more bumps, but it's nice to know my body is doing something. Still really confused about all of the strange spots I have on my torso. They are mostly flat and red. A few have the white head and look a lot like folliculitis. On the other hand, I definitely had a couple of molluscum in this area a little while ago. So I don't know what to make of what's going on there. Pressing forward. Good luck everyone.

• Posted

I hope you continue to have good news. I had mollescum for about 8 or 9 months last year. I would highly recommend not using a topical as they absolutely destroy your skin, which makes the mollescum persist. Quick, thorough freezing is the best way, imo. I had extensive skin problems due to over treating my mollescum and relying too much on topicals. Freezing, and then simply letting my body heal and relaxing are what ultimately made it go away. I hope that helps!

• Posted

Hey just writing to let you know you are not alone Im 49 and been fighting this since March My dr treated them with acid and they all cleared up by June However i still had one bump that looked suspicious to me but my dr assured me it was not mc Well come October that one little bump errupted and turned in to five bumps. Probably from shaving. I am devastated to say the least. So here i go again with more treatments. I am also using tto and taking cimetidine hoping to get this out of my life for good. I feel mc is so stressfull because you suffer and obsess silently. I hear staying positive helps and god knows I am trying. Please keep us updated on your progress

• Posted

hey there, one thing you have to keep remembering is that treating molluscum is a battle of attrition. It takes time and persistence to just wear the virus down. so prepare yourself to maybe be let down sometimes with hows things progress and just keep that determination to get rid of it and it will go eventually 😃

I found taking daily shots of Apple cider vinegar helped fight it. I don't know the exact science behind it as i read it ages ago. But essentially it makes your body less hospitable to the virus.

also be careful if you are popping them as that can help them spread! I personally don't pop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.