Hello, I am a 35yr old female. I had my left submandibu...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, I am a 35yr old female. I had my left submandibular gland removed 4 days ago. For me it all started about 2 years ago, with the left gland under my chin becoming swollen and it hurt to eat anything. I also had some other ailments periodically, such as stabbing stomach pains, 104 temperature for 4 days, etc...First dr. (holistic) thought I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and put me on adrenal support compound. The next dr., my ENT, started off with antibiiotics to see if the swelling would go away. Then, when that didn't work and I was still having stomach problems, he thought I had a silent acid reflux and put me on Nexium for 2 months. The pills did help for some of my stomach issues, but my throat was still hard as a rock. Finally, he ordered a neck CT scan and found the salivary stone.

We decided to have the stone removed within one week. My Dr. let me know that the stone was pretty deep within the gland and would try to only remove the stone (through an incision in the mouth) or if that wasn't possible, then remove the whole gland (through the neck). He ended up having to remove the whole gland, so I had stitches inside and out. The recovery process was no fun, let me tell you!:yikes: I was on pain pills, antibiotics, and nausea reducer. After the anesthesia wore off (2 days later), my mouth hurt too much to eat anything, even with the pain pills. I really couldn't open my mouth more than a pill could go in. And swallowing, agh! I was in and out of sleep for 4 days. Today is the 5th day and I am on a life high right now, just feeling good to be feeling normal, ya know? Anyhow, if anyone has any questions for me I would be happy to answer them! Ta-Ta

[i:6d031a4f2d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6d031a4f2d]

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

did you have an x-ray before the neck scan as Iam due for a neck scan because the x-ray was clear it didnt show up any stones and Im having alot of pain for several years now.

[i:7b17d98f7a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7b17d98f7a]

• Posted

No, I didn't have any x-rays done. However, the neck CT scan showed the stone very clearly since it was bright white. My ENT Dr. said that if anything had shown up as gray inside of the gland, that would indicate more of a cancerous tumor.

Good luck with getting this resolved for yourself. I just got my stitches removed from my neck a couple of days ago, so I just have a slight scar that should fade away within a few months. I'm still on pain meds, but not as strong. I see my ENT in 3 weeks for a follow-up, so hopefully by then my surgery area will be healed and feeling okay.

[i:e855043fae]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e855043fae]

• Posted

Okay, now I am really scared!:yikes:

[i:de22cc3e09]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:de22cc3e09]

• Posted

my problem has been on going for about 8-9 years. finally found a surgeon who had loads of experience with this condition. a 6mm stone was removed about 8 weeks ago however still no relief. surgeon suggests it may be scar tissue and will have to remove the whole submandibular gland. this frightens me - have you now a very dry mouth all the time or is it manageable? would really appreciate your response thank you very very much - jennifer

[i:8eda9f141c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8eda9f141c]

• Posted

Hi there. What are all these horror stories about? I had my left gland removed 18 months ago and no, it really IS NOT painful just a quick simple procedure and yep I have to go and have my right one removed in a few weeks. I have also experienced stones managing to come thro the saliva duct under my tongue in a rather alien like manner but honestly for the lady that says 'right im scared' there is no pain in having the gland removed and apart from some bruising which you would expect in the first few weeks; any decent surgeon will make sure the incision is in that lovely crease we ladies tend to get! The scar should be no more than five cm and will fade easily in time.

[i:43ead0df72]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:43ead0df72]

• Posted

I have to have my gland removed was the scar long ? Did it hurt ?

[i:d4cb8ec0f5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d4cb8ec0f5]

• Posted

I have a blocked gland and I have to hve it removed, was there any facial nerve damage at all ? Were you in alot of pain ? Where did you have your surgery at ? Please advise I'm really scared about having the gland removed .

[i:01edc38cb1]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:01edc38cb1]

• Posted

have you had any disfiguration from the surgery?

My doctor is recommending that i have my submandibular gland remvoe because of my chronic problem with stones. I am aware that there will be scarring but i fear having a disfiguring bobble head look that i sometimes see on people who have had neck surgery. can you please tell me if there is any disfiguration like this when the submandibular glands are removed sad ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.