Hello, I have been offered radioactive iodine treatment...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

I have been offered radioactive iodine treatment after several relapses when ceasing to take carbimazole.

I have been taking this drug for over 3 years.

I am told that is possible my thyroid may become under active after the radioactive iodine, my mother had this treatment and she now has an under active thyroid and has put on a considerable amount of weight she is unable to loose.

I train in the gym five days a week because I have had a weight problem, so I was wondering if there is any reason why I can't stay on the carbimazole indefinitely.

Can anybody provide me with advise on this?

Thanks

[i:24fd86b284]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:24fd86b284]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya.

Just responding to your question about whether or not you could continuing taking carbimazole indefinately.... Not sure if this will affect you...but as a fellow sufferer taking the drug and as a student midwife I know you can not take carbimazole if trying to become pregnant or when pregnant as it has severe adverse affects on the fetus. Hope that's helpful. Am off to see my endocrinologist later today to ask the very same question....so will let you know if I find anything interesting out! Take care, Clare

[i:f4ad976b07]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f4ad976b07]

• Posted

I GOT DIAGNOSED WITH OVER ACTIVE THYRIOD TWO YEARS AGO (GLAD IM NOT GOING MAD) FELT TERRIBLE SHAKING, HEADACHES, FEELING HOT AND JUST DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE. WENT TO DOCTOR AND GOT PUT ON CARBIMAZOLE NOW ON 20G ADAY. HOSPITAL HAVE PUT ME DOWN FOR IODINE TREATMENT AND AM AWAITING APPOINTMENT. THEY HAVE TOLD ME YOU CAN NOT STAY ON CARBIMAZOLE LONGER THAN TWO YEARS AS NOT A LONG TERM TREATMENT. I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT I COULD GO UNDER ACTIVE BUT BEING UNDER ACTIVE OUT WEIGHS BEING OVER AS THIS CAN BE CONTROLLED BY TABLETS WHICH YOU CAN STAY ON FOR LIFE. I ALSO HAVE GRAVES WHICH I HAVE BEEN TOLD GOES EVEN IF YOU GO UNDER ACTIVE. THIS HAS MADE ME GO FOR THE IODINE TREATMENT. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON.

BUT TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE WITH OVER ACTIVE YOUR NOT GOING MAD ITS HARD TO EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE UNLESS THEY HAVE IT.tHEY JUST THINK YOUR RUNNING AROUND BECAUSE YOU WANT TO THEY NEED TO READ THIS WEBSITE.:D

[i:10c314cc42]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:10c314cc42]

• Posted

I had thyroid cancer and graves also but I've been told I'll always have graves because of the antibobies in my blood will always be there. I was also told by a different doctor that do not have graves now because I don't have a thyroid. So who knows. It took me 3 years to beat the cancer (microvasive follicular carcinoma) It was more aggessive than they thought but with 4 -I 131 radiation treatments later, I have. Now I am just waiting for all the side affects from that which they are not sure of what that will be. I now have a bladder disease called interstitial cystitis which is incurable. I believe it was caused by all the radiation I drank and went through my bladder. They don't have a clue if it's true or not. Good luck with your treatments.

Shelly :magic:

[i:c7d786ec00]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c7d786ec00]

• Posted

hi to everyone,its so nice to find a web sight for thyriod sufferers. i was first told i had a over active thyroid back in the year 2000. i had lost alot of weight and was very ichy.i was treated with carbimazole for a year and then was taken off them as my thyriod was normal.however in 2005 i started feelin ichy again and had another blood test which came back normal.soi thought i had a skin complate and that was that..i still didnt feel myself very low and a feelin of being nervous for no reason.also i had sore eyes alot and the doctor gave me eye drops.in june 2006 i had a medical done private to find my pulse rate was high and my thyriod was high too.i was put on 20mg carbimazole aday and40mg propranolol 3 times a day.went to see doctor and was told i had graves which explains why my eyes are puffy and sore. we talked about iodine treatment but as i have graves he rather leave it and see how i go over the next six mounths. he has increased my carbimazole to 40mg a day and my beta blokers have come down till i ween myself off.had a bloodtest and my thyriod is back in the normal range.deos anyone know how long you have graves,i have good days with my eyes and bad days .it gets you down when people ask whats wrong with my eyes , i tend to hide behind my glasses more now .one good note i have put weight on now as i did need to so everyone says i look better for that.:lol:

[i:80e2acada5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:80e2acada5]

• Posted

hi again i wrote in on the 24-8-2006 and my name is charlotte just wanted to add if anyone can give me any imformation at all about iodine treament and graves that would be great, as i dont get much feed back from my doctors.. hope to here soon thanks...:ok::magic:smile

[i:3690024191]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3690024191]

• Posted

hello i have radio iodine 23rd aug 06,worked at first now i am under active....went into thyrod crisis in october well overactive symptons bad felt so ill wanted to die.controlled with carbimazol felt great for a while now under active and have a cholestrol of 8.2 im well fed up ..gonna ask to have gland out and go on thyroxin. :x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.