Hello i m 21 years old girl. I have been dysphagia from 2 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello i m 21years old girl i m suffering form dysphagia from last two weeks. Yesterday my GI doctor did an endoscopy and it results with mild gastritis.. But i m scared plz tell me can it cure completely.. Can my dyspagia will go.. Doc gave me medicine for 2weeks .plz tell me something what to do

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rani, 

The fact that you have had the Endoscopy is great. You know there is no blockage causing the issue. It is good to show diligence, but also best not to worry or panic - easy to say I know smile . It is very unlikely that you have Achalasia (1/100,000), and I know dysphagia can be temporary and harmless with normal problems like acid reflux or gastritis. Luckily Achalasia is not an imminent threat. It is something that takes months or years to progress and diagnose. My advice - Try and relax, not worry, and look at this again in a few weeks.... Take some me timesmile

Happy karma, smile 

N.  

• Posted

Hi rani13595

I just want to say anemia can cause dysphagia - painful swallowing. I also had an upper Endoscopy and I have a hiatal hernia and I take prevacid regularly for acid reflux. I had painful swallowing for 10 months. Found out that it was from anemia. I could never get the doctors to really understand my pain. They did not come up with the idea of anemia and frankly have no interest that it was the cause. But if you google it you will see on some sites it mentions dysphagia - not all. It isn't common. I had to ask the doctor to test my iron and that's how the anemia was found. Just wanted to throw that out there because you are young and anemia is often found in young girls.

• Posted

Mild gastritis means that your oesophagus is sore and perhaps inflamed a little bit.   Normally medication like Omeprazole will reduce the acid coming up from your stomach and this will soothe your gastritis and allow it to heal.

​Try not to worry about it too much, because stress and tension can make it worse, whereas relaxation helps it to improve.

• Posted

Hello

Only endoscopy is not enough you should undergo with gold stranded  test  "Esophageal manometry "

it is non invasive and reveals how much your lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is involved .

Another test is Barium Swallow x-ray will confirm the Oesophageal Achalasia, to avoid misdiagnosis.

And what are the other symptoms?

Is there chest pain (diffuse spasm type) followed by vomiting or regurgitation after taking food or liquid ?

Or pain reduced after vomiting or regurgitation, wt. loss ?

There so many other causes of dysphagia. if your Gastroenterologist suggested other essential test, then he/she would conduct the test that would give you right direction.

All the best

• Posted

Ok thank you.. But endoscopy shows mild gastritis.can this is not enough to dignosis.
    • Posted

The endoscopy will show the inside of your oesophagus and whether there are any lumps, bumps or other problems, and it might find undigested food lingering in your oesophagus which would indicate potential achalasia.

But a barium swallow will show what is happening in real time when you swallow because it is like an x-ray video that shows how you swallow a white liquid and how it progresses through your system.

​From what you say, I would wait and see whether your gastritis clears up first.

• Posted

Hi

No, Not at all (endoscopy not enough to diagnosis)

Gastritis and Achalasia both are different diseases

Gastritis is Acid-Pepsin disorders causes excessive secretion of acid from stomach and caused inflamed and swollen stomach lining (mucosa layer) . Gastritis may be due to secondary to other disease

Where Achalasia is esophageal motility disorders which often cause neuromuscular disorders and its progressive (narrowing LES ) with symptoms and required many months to years to develop clinical symptoms.

Chronic gastritis may cause achalasia (long standing acid secretion may reflex to esophageal gastric junction (LES) and destroy  some neurons which are responsible for esophageal motility

Esophageal manometry  measure real time LES pressure and reveals  whether patient have Achalasia or not

So first you must rule out the cause of your problem, treatment would be easy and proper

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.