Hello, I'm new!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

I am new to these boards and unsure if there is certain "Welcome/Intro" section I should be posting in.

I am one week post-injury. For the past few days I have been reading posts and gaining so much insight into my/our injury as well as similar injuries. Thanks for all your contributions.

-AW (Amanda)

1/11: Trimalleolar fracture & syndesmotic disruption of ankle

1/13: ORIF surgery

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Amanda.

Good luck! I had the same surgery as you but had to wait five days between my accident and surgery. It's a rollercoaster ride!

• Posted

Best wishes to you. 9-28 Trimalleolar fracture.  9-29 ORIF Surgery.  I am so proud to say that I have been weight bearing since Dec. 21 and today on vacation, I walked 5 miles, including hills.  My ankle gets sore and needs to be iced after activity, but no major pain.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Hang in there.  
    • Posted

Thanks, healinggolfer! I am glad you are doing well and recuperating quickly. You should be proud and elated. Your recovery gives me hope. I have a vacation in July and I want to be able to go. And enjoy it.

Happy healing

• Posted

It takes a while Amanda. I am 11 months out and feel great. I felt human again after 4 months and quite good after 6 months and 95-98% after about 9 months. A lot of people start feeling quite bummed about the second and third week, as boredom and fear can set in. Don't worry though...you will get better! Ankles take a long time to heal. Read some old posts and follow people who went through it and you will learn a lot!

• Posted

Patti, thank you so much for the encouragement! I have been reading, reading, reading, here and anywhere else possible to really learn about my injury, the surgery, and the recovery. I am not looking forward to the time between now and when I am better, but I am somewhat prepared due to all this information available, and I think that will help me a lot. I'm so happy for you and your recovery!

• Posted

I totally agree with Patti......I sustained a Trimaleolar fracture and dislocation on October 4th and had surgery that same day. So may things are going on in the beginning and it is so scarey. But honestly it does get better. Right now your body needs rest and your leg needs elevation most of the day and night.

I am now in my fourth month and boy what a difference!! It certainly does get better. Sending support and warm thoughts your way.

• Posted

Karen, thank you for your encouragement! It seems the 4th month is the sweet month for those with no complications. I am ready... with one week in, lol! I am resting and elevating, elevating and resting.
    • Posted

So good to hear Karen! Yay!  And Amanda- take a look at healthy foods to eat for bone healing. That helped me a lot I think. Epsom salt baths, once the cast gets off (if you have one) does wonders. Ice, ice ice . I borrowed a friend's Game Ready (I know they make cheaper versions as that one is super pricey). It was amazing!! It basically runs very cold water through a pad wrapped around your ankle, vs. having ice against your skin. I wish I had had it early on. I was in a wheelchair at the beginning for a few weeks and then switched to a knee scooter. The knee scooter saved my life and kept me super active. I went everywhere on my scooter, out to dinner, on vacations, you name it. I did arm workouts regularly to keep the blood flowing throughout, hopoing to pump the good nutrients I was eating regularly into the leg. I learned to use my downtime in positive ways and learned quickly that being around others was the most healing for me, and no one wants to hear about the muscles in your leg firing one by one, except us here online going through it, so you will find this group super supportive, and willing to talk about the regular daily details.

• Posted

Patti, you are so kind. Thanks. I've never heard of Game Ready. I'm gonna look it up. 

I have been eating so much healthier than pre-injury. I believe it has contributed to my nice healing and reduced swelling. And of course I ice and elevate, so that factors in too.

I had my first post op appt and the doctor took me out of my cast-splint and into a boot. He said no weight bearing for another 5 weeks then I will walk. Like, normal regular walk. Although he had to do less work on my leg and ankle during surgery than anticipated, this sounds soon to me.

I am in more pain since being in the boot. It's very scary as I feel like my ankle is not supported. I think that's what is causing most of the pain. It's very upsetting, but I will continue to be positive.

Happy healing to all,

AW

• Posted

I can tell you what you are going through sounds normal to me. I think the weight of the boot is what is causing this, and also that you got this injury recently. I didn't want to take pain meds or anti-inflammatories during that bone healing period, because from what I read, these didn't help promote fast bone recovery,  and could be detrimental to bone growth. Others, may need them to get through, but I didn't find it too tough as long as I kept my leg allevated a lot, iced often, and slept on my back, to keep the pain level manageable. One thing I can tell you is I have seen people who pushed things (on this site) and walked too early- usually trying to get back to work too soon, or who took their leg out of the boot because it bugged them etc. (people who didn't listen to their doctor's advice) and they seem to have had more problems later. The ankle is in perfect alignment usually after surgery and you don't want to jolt it while it is fragile. If you do, it could mean arthritis later. That is what the doctors are really warning against when they tell you to not put weight on it. I think I was lucky the sports orthotic team in Northern California where I am from, just puts these injuries in casts, so you are less likely to jolt the ankle or cheat and take it out of the boot.  I think there is an average healing time 5-10 weeks depending on how many bones are broken in the ankle (and I think smokers take longer to heal). I think the real average though is 7-8 weeks for a tri-mal break though. Then the bone is all repaired and you need to put pressure on it to make it stronger (like weight lifting for muscles, your bones get harder with pressure too). To do things too soon is a bad idea, but when they tell you...go for it (and it hurts then to fire muscles back up- so take a Motrin in the morning and evening to help with the weight bearing and physical therapy at that point if you need it). I thought, for me, things would be much faster because I was always very fit, but I learned ankles just take a certain amount of time and you might as well find things to make you happy during this waiting period, because your body needs it. A trimalleolar fracture is a bigger deal than I realized at first, but not something you can't get through. It just throws you off for 4 months a lot, and by 6 months you will be on your way to feeling normal again. I was afraid I would never walk again, and also that the hardware was going to really hurt me later, but with time I realized it all gets better, and the hardware may be more of a friend in there than a foe.  Just know there is light on the other side of this battle. Given that, I still get spooked on slippery surfaces. Somethings stay with you, after a broken ankle smile  One more hint: try to swim when you first get out of your boot, before you can walk much. It was a magical feeling for me to move in the water- almost surreal.  I also found exercises in the water to be really fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.