Hello I was diagnosed with Fibromylgia 10 years ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since been diagnosed with Fibro I seem to have developed other illnesses not Supposed to be related,e.g. Under active Thyroid,Depression with Anxiety,High Cholesterol and also I've developed stomach ulcers due to taking anti inflammatory meds. I'm wondering if anyone else is complaining of similar problems,I'm taking Effexor 150mgs Mirtazapine15mgs which work fairly well for Depression but I'm not to sure about my Thyroid med.Eltroxin,lately I've been feeling absolutely drained of energy and have muscle weakness all over I'm under investigation at the moment so hopefully I'll have some answers soon I would anyone out there to make sure you look after your own health and don't feel awkward about repeated g p visits there is an old saying "out of sight out of mind" Doctors are under pressure so much these days but I would not have got the tests I needed if I didn't persevere,I'll keep you updated,look after yourselves and take care.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

High cholesterol, anxiety and depression are actually symptoms of an underactive thyroid.  With the right thyroid dose, enough to keep your TSH around 1.00, you should feel a bit better and your cholesterol should slowly go back to normal also... if it is not diet related.  Also.. if you are seeing your GP for your thyroid issue, it would be best to get referred to an endocrinologist.  They specialize in thyroid disorders and will be much more helpful in your treatment.  My endo told me that he likes to keep his patients TSH levels around 1.00 because that is where they feel best at.  Do you happen to know what your last TSH level was at?  If mine goes above 2.00, I start to feel bad and the anxiety, depression and other thyroid symptoms start to return.
    • Posted

I'll be going for a battery of tests this week so I'll know more then "I Hope"!!! I'm taking Lansoprazole 30mgs morning and night I definitely think I am being overmedacated so I'm also trying to phase out the Lans.

• Posted

Yes. Related. Fibromialgya and hypothyroid are autoimmune. What you're dealing with is pretty typical, including high cholesterol and anxiety.

Drugs add to toxicity, and can worsen autoimmune conditions. Natural treatments are detoxing, amino acid therapy and vitamin and mineral supplements. Coblimated B vitamins. Paleo gluten free diet. No wheat, or grains, no soy, no dairy, no processed sugar, no food additives.

• Posted

April, you're probably right.

Keep in mind that thyroid disease can go undiagnosed for decades. It isn't out of the question that the thyroid disease came first. I know that sounds nuts, but that's how it went for me. 

• Posted

You're probably right even when I was younger "I'm in my mid 60s now" I was never as robust as the rest of my friends and tired very easily,it's only in later years I was diagnosed with Thyroid problems,I live in Ireland and our medical facilities are only now catching up.

• Posted

April, I'm in the US. Not very good treatment here. You get better practitioners in Southern California bc the movie stars can afford to be bogged down with thyroid disease. But now I've moved to a different, though major metropolitan area, and not as good here. After all the differnent meds I tried, I gave up and went another direction bc none worked for me.

• Posted

Same here - diagnosed by the rheumatologist with fibro, nearly 10 yrs ago, Hashimotos thyroid disease about 9 years ago, with lots of depression and anxiety on and off the whole time. It has been impossible to get my thyroid levels right, and even when they are in range, I am hypothyroid, with cold, low body temp, slow heart etc. And now my kidney function tests are not looking great.  I feel exhausted from trying to do all the right things for years, with lifestytle, diet and exercise,  but still not able to be well. April, Eltroxin is not the best brand of levothyroxine, have you read about that? A lot of people have had big problems with it (depending on which country you are in).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.