hello,I would like to get opinions on the treatment of frozen shoulder

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having problems with my shoulder for 6 months ,but have just been diagnose with frozen shoulder recently (before that it was beleived it was a pinch nerve ).My pain is tolerable during the day but quite annoying in the evening ,night and morning.I am not sure what is the percentage of my motions ,but compared to other stories I would say I am not as bad. I have tried 3 different physiotherapist ,giving me exercices to do,but the pain is always worse afer the exercices.After reading the posts,I am tempted to just give up on Physio.My worries is that my shoulder will continue to freeze up if i stop using it .I am wondering if doing exercices actually helps or worsen the condition ? I would appreciate people experiences with doing or stoping exercices.Thanks

P.S : I am taking no medications ,I am terrified of injection and I manage my pain by avoiding any movements that would trigger pain.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Agnes. I feel for you so much. I had an accident in august 2013 and was diagnosed in November having lost 75% movement and in a lot of pain if I caught my arm in any way (drop down crying on the floor pain) . I had hydrodilitation in January 2014, which hurt like billyo and ddidn't really do the job it was supposed to. Following the hydro I had physio weekly and was told never to push the shoulder beyond 'ouch' as it only serves to aggravate it. As the hydro hadn't really worked the physio sacked me and I carried on with pain control from my gp which consisted of paracetamol and ibuprofen then neproxen and ibuprofen during the day with tramadol at night to aid sleep. I slept on the sofa propped up on pillows for about 5 months. I had to work as I am self employed but with adaptions I managed and was able to ride again. By the end of October I had about 75% ROM and was virtually pain free. I think the fact that I kept up gentle movement went a long way to a quick end of this hideous affliction, though I did get it wrong sometimes and then it hurt like stink. In November 2014 I had a fall with my horse and suffered an AC dislocation and had an op to sort it out and was terrified it would refreeze but thank God so far so good. Sorry I'm rambling but I guess the short of it is that hard physio is a no no, unless a procedure is involved, but use it as much as you are able and use pain meds. You can't stop it if it wants to freeze as it has to run its course, and it will eventually run its course, just hope you aren't one of the unlucky ones who suffer for 3 years. I also had 4 sessions of Bowen's which helped me relax. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.I did drop down to the floor crying a few times, when i inadvertently hurt my shoulder against something !!!

I guess the key in here is to be patient and gentle with the recovery .

Good luck with everything .

• Posted

Agnes - It is a terrible place to be and while it will get better, I think everyone is on their own path.  I did physio and that loosened it a little.  I would be in pain the next day but then have more movement the following day.  It helped some... but the pain was always there.  Then I tried Airrosti which is DEEP tissue work and that was extremely painful and did not really give me any relief (they knew that so told me there was not anything they could do for me after 3 visits).  Then I finally got a cortisone shot.  The day of the shot was painful but since then (three weeks) no pain.  It worked for me but again, my mobility is still limited.  I am now doing stretches and feel I have about 80% mobility back.  

My doctor said if the pain comes back he would like to do MUA but I am hestitant.  I am okay where I am for now and just want to enjoy being pain free (after 7 months of pain).  

I do not take anything now... and honestly, nothing over the counter could touch the pain I was in prior.  Once it is at a certain stage, pain meds no longer help from what I can gather.  

Also, you should continue to do exercises as that will keep your shoulder from locking up further.  Do what is not painful and continue to stretch.  It does help a little and keeps the joint active.  It definitely will not make it worse.  The less you move your shoulder the less mobility you will have at the apex of the freeze.  Because I did not move my shoulder in the beginning it made it worse and tighter.  I am in a decent place today but we will see how things feel in a month.

Good luck.  I hope you find a middle ground and can get some pain relief and sleep.  That is the worst part... being in pain all the time and not sleeping.  

• Posted

Hello April,

Thanks for your reply.My Physio and I agreed on stoping the exercices for now,but the fact is that the pain is the same ,exercices  or not !

So I will continues on gentle streches.. I also gather up my courage and book an appointment for the cortisol shot.Even though my pain is not as extreme as some others , it is constant and kind of makes me irritable with little patience at time !!

Enjoy your pain free break,and hopefully the worst of the frozen shoulder is behind you .

• Posted

I had frozen shoulder  3 years ago on right side and had Mua and 6 sessions of physio until the therepist said could not go any further with it.  It lasted about another month and one night got severe sweats in bed which was start of meno for me and woke up, f.shoulder gone, could not believe it.  Now have it in left shoulder, symptoms same as other poster here which is debilitating, getting little sleep etc.  had cortisone injection on Friday, resting arm as told, have nausea bad no mind to eat and just Generally feeling unwell, will this go away ???? Agree it is hormonal, but still no way out but suffer on.  A pain free day must feel so good, hope we get to that stage soon.  Any reply would be great.
  • Posted

Hi Agnes, all the best to you.  I feel as though my problems are minor in comparison to what I read on this forum.  My physio recommended cardio exercise which I was scepical about but yesterday I did 30 minutes on the cross trainer and my shoulder feels much looser today - i think it is about increasing the blood flow. Just listen to your shoulder if you are using the cross trainer and stop using the arm levers if you need to.  I am also terrified of having an injection, although I have a friend who said it worked for her and she is back to her usual exercise routtine. 

• Posted

Hi Agnes, I have had frozen shoulder for 5 months. I have read that it goes through stages, and gets less painful. Some days the pain is worse than others. I bought a TENS machine online. I also purchased an ultrasonic machine, and I do exercises on a Swiss Ball which supports the back. At night I find it more incomfortable and I find I wake up with palpitations in the early hours.

Recently had some acupuncture and massage therapy. I suppose it does help but still have to live with the pain. Walking is better than sitting. 

There has been some success with saline injections in Canada and found some info regarding that online. I have been told that it runs its course but it seems like such a long time.

Try and be positive and agree dont push the arm exercises too far as it will refreeze. I too didnt have any luck with Physio. 

• Posted

hi, I tried physio, deep tissue massage, stretching with some relief. One day I woke up with my shoulder completely frozen and in so much throbbing pain. I contacted an osteopath who tried stretching my arm out.  she refered me to a well reknown chiropractor in Canada who specializes in shock wave therapy.  I was desperate so I went. He has a three point program- yes, expensive and not covered- but you are an important investment. he was willing to give %10 off if paying for two sessions at a time. I'm on session 6 after the past 3 weeks.  $75 a time otherwise.  

Sessions last about 15 minutes.  time breakdown consists of- 10 minutes of acupuncture, 5 minutes of intense shock wave therapy which is suppose to break down the scar tissue and encourage the area to start healing again- do not take an anti-inflamatory- and then manipulation and stretching.  First few appointments I was in so much pain.  I declined pain killers bc of the type of work I am in.  I found extra strength tylonel thank goodness worked and the topical Bell roll on pepper cream joint relief worked at night with heat.  I had to practice hanging my arm and swinging it and creeping my hand up a wall.  I could not do either as my arm felt stuck in several places.  Throbbing pain stopped and mild aching only.  Third and fourth session started to be able to reach my arm up and out.  Now on 6th, still some aching bc of some postural issues- almost full movement in arm.  Was recommended to take some joint lubricant - one type has shellfish so I couldn't take it bc of an allergy- I will start taking it tomorrow.  I was told to avoid a cortesone shot as it just masks problem and does not treat actual problem.  I am hoping that this therapy continues to be successful and is not as frequent. I would recommend the investment as it apparently cuts the recovery time in half and helps with the ability to unfreeze shoulder much sooner. I wanted to share bc I did not see much on this.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.