hello im looking for some support

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi...today is my birthday I'm 61 and two days ago was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia what a lovely present! I have been put on tegretol and been advised to increase my amitryiptiline at night....im hoping that this helps if live to hear your experiences.of this cruel illness

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Happy Birthday! There is hope! I go natural during the day. 800 mg of Turmeric during the day, (hate the side effects of drugs)  400 mg of Carbamazapine at night. Check out youtube.com & type in relief of trigeminal nerve pain. 

Wish I had more time to tell you more, busy day! Again Happy Birthday!

• Posted

Thank you. I have had a few weeks of horrendous pain....it does seem to be settling down a little but not sure if it will ever go away completely
  • Posted

Hi Catherine. I am 67 and it showed up when I was 62..about your age.  I went through the drug thing.One of them worked for a while...got through a summer but then it stopped working. Tried other drugs but felt too awful on them so looked into the surgeries which I found to be the most helpful and hopeful.  Found the doc in town who is experienced in ending this pain using radio frequency surgery which means he uses a needle to burn the nerve so it is dysfunctional.  Others have had success with other surgeries. The surgery I had ended the pain but caused eating to be difficult and messy because my jaw is partially numbed out. BUT  I don't have the TN pain so it was a trade off.

It all boils down to what you can or can't take. And what is available to you.

Best of luck, you are NOT alone!

• Posted

Today was the 1st session with the acupuncturist. (Not a Chiropractor acupuncturist)

Absolutely no pain  100 % recommend!

• Posted

Happy Birthday Catherine! I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with TN. I was diagnosed with TN Oct 2011 and this is a cruel illness but THERE IS HOPE! I had microvascular decompression surgery (MVD) on May 5th, 2016 and I've been pain free since coming out of surgery with no side effects. TN is part of my testimony because GOD has used what at the time was the darkest moment in my life to shed HIS light of love and his faithfulness. In Oct 2015 prior to being diagnosed with TN I had a Job moment with GOD, I was looking for answers to my questions like "why me" "why this" "why can't I feel normal again" and a lot of other emotions. Well I found my answer. A guy I worked with at the time came back from an out of town meeting and told me that at a company dinner a lady from Tennessee shared a story about her mom being diagnosed with TN and was talking about how debilitating it has been on her mom. Well that was all the information he had… no last name, no way to reach out to her so in Oct 2017 while at a company meeting in Charlotte, NC I had a chance to meet this lady and I told her that I wanted her family to have my card and my cell phone number so that if they needed to talk I would be there for them, in Dec 2017 her dad called me and told me his wife was suffering and would I mind sharing my story so I shared my story about my surgery at Duke he was a little hesitant because I was 38 when I had the MVD surgery and he's wife was 67. I sent him my doctors information and the story I read about a 67 year old mans story that had the MVD surgery that lived in the UK, it’s a story I ran across when I was researching to see what I had before I was diagnosed. She had MVD surgery Jan 18th and she too is completely pain feel now with no side effects. So my answer from GOD was two years later, I believe I had TN to help other with my story and I believe everyone shares a story that could help others so I will spend the rest of my living life helping and supporting those who suffer from TN. 

• Posted

Thanks Brock.  Great story! and one we all need to hear!
  • Posted

That's awesome she got rid of the pain. I know how crippling this can be.

I didn't like the side effects from the meds either.

I tried acupuncture. It helped temperately. 

Then someone on this web site said to take B 12 & a B complex. (I get them both through Puritans pride.com)

I take them both in the am. I take 1/2 a tablet of Carbamazapine around supper time.

If I do get pain during the day I take 800 mg Turmeric (it's a spice, also through Puritans pride)

God's blessings on you & your wife!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.