Hello ladies, just introducing myself here as a newbie.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was only diagnosed with LS a week ago, and like many others on here, really struggling to get my head round it, it's been devastating. I'm 57, had a total abdominal hysterectomy 13 months ago due to pre-cancer of endometrium. I think that caused a shock to the system, along with the instant drop in hormones due to removal of my ovaries also. I can't tolerate systemic hormones due to them affecting my asthma, but now using Vagifem internally and cream externally on my perineum which has the LS. I am also using Dermol 500 cream to wash with and Clobetasol ointment, as prescribed by my Dermatology Consultant. I am also going to try a Borax solution as have read about good results with it. Finally, my perineum is the one area that's affected for now, but although I use dilators etc, sex always makes me split, so am hoping to have surgery in the future. My consultant mentioned the Z-Plasty with X Y Advancement may be an option later on. Sending hugs to all my fellow members on here. So nice to have some support x

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,

It sounds like you've been doing a lot of reading and have a good grasp on your options. I am 53 and suffered a drop in estrogen due to menopause. As well, I was severely hypothyroid for about three years. It does seem that hormones (esp. estrogen) play a significant role in the onset of LS.

Like you, I find the ladies (and men?) on this site very comforting. It is so good to be able to read about the successes people have had with various natural and medical treatments.

Take care and carry on!!

Metta

• Posted

Thank you Metta, I try my best to be informed, and look for any conventional or alternative treatments which may offer some hope for any health problems I've had over the years. Regarding your hypothyroidism, it's a condition I had around the menopause myself, but it rectified itself over time, and is within normal limits now I'm told. I didn't actually do anything different, so hope you may improve also. All the best to you Metta.

• Posted

Personally I'm not in favour of surgery in the area of the vulva.  LS will just continue, no matter what.  I have improved tremendously by doing baking soda and borax baths and rinses.  Applying coconut oil for moisturizing.  Do regular dilation.  Keep a strict diet.  Sugar is a sure trigger, so is cheese.  Avoiding gluten was the next best thing.  Very occasionally do I use clobetasol. 

?We're all a little different, so a bit of experimenting at first might help find what works best for you.  Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.