Hello to all fellow sufferers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello to you all. Ive just come out of hospital and feel stiil quite ill with th a flare up of diverticulosis.

Last time I went into hospital I stayed for a week. This time I was sent home earlier. Does anyone know of a cookery book for our proper diet or please can anyone suggest what should and should not be eaten when we are on the mend again? Im off to lay down again as Im very tired and still achy (cant spell it) but Im trying to say "still hurting"

I really feel for you all who have this beastly thing and its so good we can chat. Good wishes to you all. Vera

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hello Vera

Im sorry to hear your suffering badly

There is no cookery book that I know of for DD suffers.

On this forum your will get lots of advice of food to stay clear of and what is safe

The suffers on this forum all have DD at various stages

it will take a while to go through the whole site buts it's worth it for the information you can gain from it

Kieran

• Posted

Hello Kieran

Thank you for message.  Ive noticed there are lots of books on a site but all the comments from people who sent for them are very negative, so I havent yet tried again yet.  One doctor told me to avoid nuts and pips and a different doctor said " Eat Anything" as nothing has been proved. I think stress has a lot to do with the flare ups. Im a Carer and not so young as I used to be and Im finding it all difficult now. Nice to hear from you. Vera

• Posted

Hi Vera,

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty, but it's good to hear that you are in the process of recovery. 

Diverticulosis is new to me, and when I asked about diet someone in the DIVI DINER discussions had provided a diet plan.  I've been following it, and it seems to be helping - at least, when I deviate from it, I can tell.

The moderator, Alan, sent me the address:

www. patient.info/forums/discuss/divi-diners-246516

This should take you directly to the diet without having to scroll through the whole discussion.  If you can't get there, let me know; I've double checked for typos but my eyesight isn't so good.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon,

Carol

• Posted

Welcome Vera ,you are now amongst friends. Carol has given you 

the place to go for the diet sheet. If  you treat yourself like a

person with no teeth ,that will give you the general idea of food you

should be eating , whilst your internals are healing  

No pips shells (peas and beans) or skins ,peel all potatoes and

don't eat the skin of a jacket potato

We are here for you , and will hopefully one of us will come up with an answer.

Jacqueline 

• Posted

Hello Jacqueline. How nice to hear from you and thank you for such a lovely message. I have been frightened to attempt food and have only drunk water for about four days so its made me feel a bit weak now. Today on your advice I will have a little something. Please could you let me know if you have found any menu books for Divi.  Its great to find new friends.. We wont be able to tackle Christmas pudding will we!

By the way ,Do onions upset Divi? Cheers Vera

• Posted

Hi  Vera, I know just how you feel . Don't know if there are any specific 

diet books but there are some menus on the forum Suggest you ask our menton to put you on to it , It's quicker than trawling through  yards of posts

Drinking plenty of water, I use flavoured stilled variety . is a must, so 

you were Ok drinking plenty . 

To set you off Vera, no skins , peel  nuts, seeded bread ,and definitely

no onions Tomatoes are Kieran's department !!!!!!

• Posted

I think Jaclyn would know. She was one of the first to start this board. Knows a lot about the disease.
    • Posted

Morning Sam, and thank you for your vote of confidence. I started this

forum out of desperation,and a food intake of almost nothing. Little 

did I know, at the time .what a sadly neglected bunch we were, and .

that there were lots of D.D sufferers in the same boat, So DIVI 

DINERS took off,and, I'.m glad to say helps lots of us, and the number of sufferers is growing, We all contribute with bits of

knowledge, which I for one .have benefited from. Sadly a couple 

of the knowledgable ones ,namely Juliet Bravo and Jon ,have

moved on , but helped in a big way   I for one am glad that there are 

lots of us   here ,if only to get over the scary bits

. Well Sam all  this before breakfast !!!!!!!Looks like a good omen for the rest of the day Have to go and stock up on the Probiotics . 

Can't explain the big GAP,above, but I have no intention of trying to 

fix it----- 'cos I don't know how, and the whole post might disappear

rolleyes

• Posted

Hope you are doing o.k these days. I have managed to not have an attack since first of Sept.. chugging fiber and probiotics and will probably do so forever unless a cure is found. Fingers crossed. I have even had some forbidden foods with little problems. As long as I have things a moving I am good. I am careful for the most part but have to throw caution to the wind smile sometimes.
    • Posted

Sam.  What kind of fiber are you chugging?  I'd like to add some fiber to my routine, but I'm not sure how to start, or what to start with.

Thanks,

Carol

• Posted

Sam ,lovely  to hear from you .Really think the probiotics are a major reason for our ongoing  "Feel good" factor Come on, name and shame 

the forbiddens you have been scoffing.. It's time I had a tasty. 

Sam has just thrown some good ideas into our tasteless diet.

Who said aything about wind ??wink

• Posted

HA!! Cookies.. brownies.. prime rib.. salads..cheesecake... sound dangerous enough??? Had a tad of wine also. Jealous?
    • Posted

only the brownies, but I think they are non dangerous. Now, if you had said fruit cake I would be well impressed

Correct me if I'm wrong ,but you said You were going to  stop the wine. 

You were probably sloshed at the time ,so you won't remember !!!!!

• Posted

Are you talking about the 10 year old fruit cakes that come in a tin?????? Grossssssss. No it wasnt me who was quitting the sauce daily.
    • Posted

I take 30 grams fiber daily. You can get the shots prepackaged daily fiber that is Apple cranberrry...travel friendly. I also use whole husk psyllium and put a couple teasppons in some Sprite or Apple juice. Drink fast... it thickens. Also a daiy probotic helps much.
    • Posted

morning Sam , fruit cake ,cooked by granny and put in a tin for Xmas is not the one. Fruit cake ,as available in supermarkets ,any where , Don't

you do any shopping ????????

There is/was a deli in Hull. that used to cook brownies in the shop,I can

still taste them . dribble making, scrummy.

Red or white ????

• Posted

Thank you, Sam.

You must have started with less than 30 grams and worked your way up?  I'm afraid to start, but if I start slowly I hope it will be ok.

• Posted

Warm brownies with vanilla ice cream....yummers.

Yes.. I shop... you are still talking about the rock hard 40 pound fruit cakes? Red and green cherries?

White

• Posted

Morning Sam

Iv looked at Amazon, there are a few different Fibers.

Which one do you use?

Thanks

Kieran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.