Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! So I've just been to an ENT appointment, I had one a few months back and it was confirmed that I had servere allergic rhinitis- so I had a blood test done. The results were that I was allergic to cats and dogs and tree and grass pollen and house dust and mould spores and a few others. Obviously most of these things are not easily avoided so I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to prevent myself getting caught by one of these allergens. It makes me so so miserable and just leaves me feeling rubbish. I am in an important year at school and I can't make it affect that. The hospital has discharged me and said that they can't do anything about it and that I would just had to keep taking medication and if it gets really bad go back to my GP. I was very allergic to house dust but I mean houses have dust it's unavoidable. Grass pollen affects me a lot too, so I have no really idea what to do. Please any tips or just a helpful comment will be really appreciated 

Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have got this so young. But on a positive not, my very healthy 68 year old husband, goes to gym twice a week, smoked when young stopping at 47. He had bad hay fever right up till his thirties, hardly gets any now, takes a Benedryl now and again in the high season. Me however never smoked, started getting non seasonal Ryhinitis like you, mine started last year. You may overcome this, as you have it young.
  • Posted

Ask your Doctor about Fexofanidine - it's a really effective antihistamine. Works for me with grass and tree pollen and is a one a day slow release non-drowsy pill. 

Sorry but I cannot use any nasal sprays as they irritate my nose too much! 

hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, I'm allergic to dogs and I've got 4 so I suffer all the time. I've recently found something that helps. Only lloyds and boots sell it.  It's an electronic allergy deviceI don't know if you've heard of it. :  )
  • Posted

The information Jan has given regarding sounded good.  I have just bought on Amazon this electronic devise. The reviews were very good most were 5 stars. Also they had electronic dust mite controller, got one of those too. I am at the stage of willing to try anything. So thanks Jan will let you all know how it works out when I have it up and running. The Loyds chemist one was £19.99 and the Boots was £14.99 the one on Amazon I chose was £29.99 the reviews were very helpfull.
  • Posted

Wow thanks guys, i will deffiantly look into buying one because anything is worth a try, thanks so much for all of your suggestions smile

• Posted

Well Hanna &Jan my nose 'Sneezer Beam' has been delivered, Amazon pretty good. Tried it, I had to suppress a sneeze three times, while the prongs were in position.

when I took out after the required three minutes, very big sneeze. My husband says on Halloween night I must not go to open the door, I will frighten the kids, really lights up nose. But will inform on progress. 

Maureen

• Posted

I have been using the 'Sneezer Beam' for a few days now, my nose is less blocked. I also have a battery operated aspirator, and use this to do a nasal wash at night. Continuing with nasal spray my doctor has given me, Beclometasone plus my Antihestamin, Loratadine. I had been using Benedryl with Acrivastine but those were three times a day, whereas the Loratadine is only one a day. 

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.