Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a long term kidney stone producer. I had the lithotripsy back in 1998. Since then, I haven't passed any stones.  Last year, I had back pain and had an ultrasound.  The ultrasound found a stone.  Ever since this I have dull upper back pain on the left side. Once in a while I will have tinges shoot around to the front. I have been drinking like crazy but can't get it to move! This has been going on for weeks. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, this is exactly the same pains as I get with my stones. Mine are too large to pass tho so I'm awaiting further treatment. Do you have further appointments booked to assess your situation and see if your stone has increased in size? At my last appointment my consultant did say that it's common to feel what are basically phantom pains after having stones, maybe because of the scarring the stones cause.
  • Posted

No, I haven't been back to the doctor. I have had so many in the past, I thought that I would just try and pass it. But, it isn't moving. 
    • Posted

It may be worth going back if you are in pain frequently so at least you'll know if it's moved at all or if it's grown. My dr has just given me an anti inflammatory painkiller to take when the pain's bad
  • Posted

Hi,

I think that you will find that the policy of treating kidney stones in this country goes something like this -

As a kidney stone is not usually life-threatening, if the patient can stand it, they are advised to drink lots of fluid to help the stone to pass on its own.

The patient is prescribed pain killers of varying strengths until the stone passes or until they can stand it no longer.

If it refuses to budge, then some form of intervention is required e.g. lithotripsy which will zap the stones without surgical incision.

If that fails, then other options are considered.

Some say that lemon juice or other natural substances can help to dissolve the stones so have a look on the web and see if any of these natural remedies take your fancy.

Don't live with severe pain though - it could be a sign that a tube is blocked and then it becomes an emergency case.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.