Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

Always been so lucky to have fabulous health until I reached 50.  For the last year I have been struggling with the most frightening symptoms. Have been hospitalised twice with what I thought were heart attack symptoms, chest tightness, heavy arms etc.  Now the episodes seem to present differently with dizzyness, headaches, strange pains in neck, a feeling when I wake as if I am going to pass out, and a floating pins and needles feeling in any or all parts of my body!  I should say I am still having periods and my GP wanted to throw HRT at me even though I didn't really see how you can prescribe drugs without first gaining an understanding of your hormone levels, when I requested testing I was told testing was unreliable.  Desperate for a solution, I did go with her recommendation and tried HRT but found that the symptoms in fact got worse so stopped taking the medication. Have had all sorts of tests which all came back clear so now I just don't know what to do or where to go.   I am finding it really hard to tolerate and or understand these 'episodes,'  GP now really doesn't seem to be willing to help, where does one find expertise?  Any suggestions most welcome!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I take vitamin D310ug – B6 150mg in the mornings. In the evening I take Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) the magnesium is for muscle pain & D3 is for bone pain. I have researched this as I had pain all over especially in my arms & neck & couldn’t bare the pain any longer it was driving me insane! I am so happy this has worked for me, it took a good couple of months to kick in but I feel like my old self again! Doctors don’t seem to know enough about the change & as long as you get all your blood test done, its hard to get a correct blood test as hormones go up & down all day long!. I don’t want HRT as they say when you stop taking them the symptom’s come back? My sister takes HRT & swears by them!

I also put flax seeds in my porridge & juice, vegetables only & always with lot of beetroots, good for the blood!

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much Barbara for taking the time to reply!  I will have a go!
    • Posted

Hi Lavender, I too had pretty good health until my mid forties when I started to get headaches, dizziness, face and neck pain... The list goes on. Also some of the symptoms you describe, such as the weird passing out feeling and odd feelings in muscles. This is coupled with anxiety which ive never had before and feelings of not coping well. I feel like a different person. I too have had numerous tests and treatments. The only thing left for me to put it down to is hormone fluctuations. I read loads and try to find solutions as I dont find the Dr overly helpful. He has said I could try HRT but for me that will be a last resort I think. It's getting to that point as ive been struggling for several years now. Currently trying to lose some weight as that is something else that seems to be out of control these days😞. It's not easy this but I push on and hope for better times to come. Good luck and let us know how you go, don't feel alone with this as there are loads of women on here to help you. Xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much - it is such a relief to understand that I am not alone.  Yes, I trained as a researcher so in some ways determined to find something to help - so will keep you posted.  Good luck with the weight loss! X
  • Posted

Happy your tests all came back clear! For the symptoms you could try multivitamins designed specifically for menopause. You can find them in supermarkets now. They include several vitamins and minerals and you take them with meals. My GP originally recommended high dose of vit B for pms I dont know why docs dont recommend these vitamins rather than hrt which seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. They definitely work for me.
  • Posted

I am at the stage of putting everything down to the menopause, I am 42, been much as you describe for the last 5 years. Still having periods although I skipped one in October and November and once I got over the hysterics that I might have been pregnant I was thrilled because that means they are going to stop. All I do now Lavender is take paracetamol when I am in pain anywhere, distract myself when I have pins and needles and sit down when I feel I am going to pass out or when I am dizzy. It all passes and I grab the moments I feel normal. GP was not much use, unless I want HRT or the coil she doesn't want to know. Oh and I am keeping a diary and record of everything for my daughter. She's only 12 now but OMG what didn't our mothers tell us????? I want her to be armed with all this x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Daisy.  It just frustrates me that there is so little help avaiable unless you opt to go privately which is something I am considering as really don't know who I am anymore!!! You obviously have a very close relationship with your daughter - what a lovely thing to do! Take care X
  • Posted

Welcome to PERIMENOPAUSE, Lavander! What you are desribing is me one year ago.  Good news, f you were all tested and nothing came up, it is hormonal, so, perimenopause; bad news, it might take a while... When I found this group I was about to go crazy; then I saw that many women had the same symptoms and that put me at easy, at least it was nothing fatal, lol. 

General complaint here is that doctors know very little and tests do not show enough.  I learned that like 10 years ago when I had spottings and my (very good) doctor did not find anything wrong with my hormons, I was completely health.  She put me back on birthcontrol, did not work as well, what showed that taking hormones not always fix things.  Besides, there are side effects to that, reason I will try to go hormone free.  I had a friend who tested for pregnancy hormone level one day - and it came back fine - other day she miscarried. And it happened more than once. So, at least when it comes to hormones, tests really are not that reliable.

Take the time and search this group, specially things from jayneejay, she is the expert here, LOL.  Lots of good advise about vitamins, diet, exercise.  And if you decide, I bet there is good advise about HRT, too.

Big hugs

• Posted

I would never do HRT because that just adds more hormones to your body when this is the time that our estrogen and progesterone is going low and we are not getting our periods. 

You should talk to your doctor and have her check your vitamin b levels because maybe vitamin b6 and b 12 will help you because it did not help me it just made me more anxious and shaky. Also maybe you need to be put on zoloft for anxieties I did here that zoloft is good for peri menopause talk to your doctor. Like everyone has told me try relaxation and yoga maybe that will help you. 

I always heard that HRT is not really good because it can cause more problems like stroke and blood clots and heart attacks. I feel that people over 40 should not be taking HRT because of the problems it can cause. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.