Help !

Posted , 3 users are following.

After having radioactive iodine some time ago I started on Levothyroxine in March of this year. Since then I have had nothing but problems. The first few weeks I was just ill and since then my insomnia and increased appetite are becoming a real problem for me.On my last visit to see the consultant at my local hospital my bloods showed that I needed to increase my medication, because I was having so much problems with T4 my consultant agreed to trial me on a combination of T4 and T3 but the symptoms just got out of control. I went back to my GP and it was agreed that I returned to just 50mg of T4 but although I am not as bad as before I am still having problems with insomnia and appetitie increase. I know I have to take this medication, but it can't be good for anyone to have to cope with 3 hours sleep each night. I know I can't. To make matters worse i am my husband's carer and also look after my two grandson's twice per week. Has anyone else had these problems and been able to over come them????

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I used to be Overactive and I now take Levothyroxine. Not had any problems with it but sounds like you need to get your level checked to be sure that it's not underactive.
  • Posted

Mags try taking your basal pulse rate (ie when you first wake up before moving). If it's below 60 you're likely to be under medicated, 60-80 normal, over 80 over medicated. Keep a log to show your doctor. I find this a beyter way to monitor my levels than the blood tests.

By the way the list of things you do wore me out just reading it - can you try and reduce it a bit if you're feeling poorly? Perhaps have your grandsons once a week?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I have been taking my basal pulse rate, just did it this week and I am clearly underactive, which is what I suspected. Going to make an appt to see my GP, just have to find some medication that suits me now, it is clear I cannot take Thyroxine. As to my activities, I am managing, I just take as must rest as I can, when i can. 
    • Posted

Sorry I forgot to say, I have now been taken off all my Thyroid medication as my reaction to it was so bad. I am better now I have stopped it, sleeping better too but it is clear I am underactive now.
    • Posted

It sounds like you might be allergic to the fillers they put in thyroxine tablets (i am). It therefore seems to me that given you need thyroid medication you would be best switching to NDT (Natural Desiccated Thyroid) like I have done. In which case you have two options. Either prescription based, or bought over the Iinternet and classed as a nutritional supplement. One prescriotion NDT without fillers is called Westhroid-P (aka WP Throid). The non-prescription based one without fillers that I'm on (because in UK it's difficult to get hold of prescriptions for NDT) is called ThyroGold.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information, it is really useful. Going back to doc with a lot of info and hoping he sees things my way, fingers crossed. I have looked at the ThyroGold so if I don't get what I need from my Doc I am going to give this a try. Thanks again, very much appreciated.
    • Posted

I'll pm you hints on some things to have a look at on the ThyroGold site that are useful wheter you take ThyroGold or not. Specifically, symptoms diary and 3 free chapters that help understand what's going on.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara how do you take your basal pulse rate? I would like to do it instead of blood tests all the time.
    • Posted

A good explanation is on the ThyroGold website under 'question and answer' on free pdf links.
    • Posted

Thank you, I will go now and have a look. Thanks again for all your help, very much appreciated.
    • Posted

Mags, if you do switch to NDT, do follow the dosing instructions on tpauk - to start on a low dose and increase it slowly every couple of weeks. This will give your body time to adjust to getting T3. I ended up taking 750mg daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.