Help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey! So today I had my clips and splint removed 12 days after complex knee surgery. I'm now panicking cuz I can't bend my knee or raise it. In fact my knee feels quite alien and so stiff. I do start physio on 17th October but I just feel I'm not every going to be right again! Has anybody got any ideas or info they could share with me please. Been told if I don't find the confidence to get my knee moving then I'll have to go back into the theatre to have it manipulated! Really want to avoid this!!! 😨

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

OMG! THE STUPID INCOMPETENT NURSE HAS LEFT A CLIP IN MY KNEE!! Granted, it's deep rooted but how careless! Going back to have it removed later. This is gonna hurt!

• Posted

wow that sucks, i would have a talk with her boss, they are suppose to count them when they are taken out, to prevent just that.
    • Posted

She wasn't bothered and just nagged me saying I should be bending my knee, which I have started doing today as I only came out of splint yesterday. She tried pushing me to bend it more and even KICKED my foot to try to bend it more! Suffice to say I gave her a piece of my mind!

• Posted

Possibly a little less than you think. I'm assuming they willninject lidocaine or some other numbingbagent and pressure will be the worst part. Make you give extra time for healing before getting it wet.

Good luck. Like a lot of things in this process....don't let fear off The unknown cause you additional problems

• Posted

So when I went to have the clip removed yesterday the nurse thought it would be a good idea to kick my foot in a pathetic attempt to bend my knee telling me if it's not bent fully by Monday then physio will do it. I know this is untrue as my knee is still very swollen. I have progressed slightly, I've gone from keeping my leg totally straight to having my foot flat on the floor and my knee is bent at about 20%. I don't think that's too bad after only bring out the splint a day and half!

• Posted

Often times therapy can slowly manipulate the joint to do things you can't do on your own. They shouldn't do anything to create more pain. In the meantime I would just rest, elevate a little and ice. This will definitely help the swelling. One thing you might do , find some flat bottomed item like the lid of a large popcorn can, cookie sheet or even piece of plastic between your foot and floor. Gently try sliding foot front to back. Gently, slowly and in small numbers. Let PT do the work at 1st with the understanding .....NO PAIN

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reassurance and advice. I really do appreciate it. I'll keep you updated as to how physio goes.

• Posted

If you feel tired it's also normal, I m 6th week post op and pain diminishing every day but still have energy problems , working on it every day tho. Don't get discouraged!

• Posted

I won't give up and neither will you. It's bloody hard work.though!

• Posted

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

You are doing great, i would not let anyone kick me in my knee or they would get kicked themselves for sure.  That is not a good thing to do.
  • Posted

So yesterday I went for my 1st physio session. I was very nervous and apprehensive but on meeting my PT I really needn't have worried! Pre physio I couldn't raise my leg , not at all! I wasn't weight-bearing and had about a 10 degree bend in my leg. Pt went through lots with me and GENTLY helped me with the 4 different exercises I'm to do. On leaving physio I managed 6 leg raises, 40 degree bend and full weight-bearing! This morning I managed 10 leg raises! I have realised that the actual surgery is a breeze, it's the rehab where the real work starts! Anyone reading this PLEASE make sure you attend all your pt appts. It's the way forward and a step in the right direction! Excuse the pun haha

• Posted

Julie, although ik ow you're frustrated and feeling low, maybe depressed its normal, you had a MAJOR OPERATION and stiffness will occur however you're P T will straighten your leg out. Have patience even though it's tough you will get through this. I have suffered 7 weeks with mine and am just starting to feel normal. Please hang in you will get through this. You might feel as the process continues, depression, confusion sad it's all normal,

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply. I'm 2 weeks 4 days out of surgery so I really do need to slow up a little. I'm just scared I'll never walk properly again. And with all this time on my hands it's hard not to think! Thanks for sharing your progress with me David, I appreciate all advice and wise words

• Posted

Julie please remember we're all going through pain and emotional ups and downs because 0f the pain.YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! If you feel down after 6 weeks it's normal, depressed normal sad normal you be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.