HELP!!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on cymbalta since Sept, 2016 60mg & it didn't help my depression.

I also wanted to stop smoking so I I'm now on Bupropion HCL 150XL for 3 wks now. I think my depression is a little better, but hasn't slowed down my smoking. Has anyone taken this for smoking & at what mg will help with quiting? (WellbutrinXL) is the brand name.

I had my page up & was sharing messages with a group member & then when I went to comment from her ( said this page has been removed...WHY would that be????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

From my experience, it takes about double your dose and to be on it steady for about 2-3 months. You'll start to notice that there will be a nasty taste to the smoke. Your cravings will then slow until they stop.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks kristen, I read somwhere that 150mg is not enough.

I will ask my Dr on next visit to increase to 300mg.

I am afraid about seizures that's one of the side effects!!

• Posted

Yes, if on 2 diff antidepressants you need to watch out for Seratonin Syndrome an siezures. Can you drop or withdraw fr Cymbalta an just take Wellbutrin? You will have withdrawls if stop Cymbalta like dizziness, headaches, nausea or if your already on Wellbutrin you may not have many withdrawls. Iv taken both. Im now on med #8 Effexor xr. Feeling a little better fr Celexa. Goodluck
    • Posted

Zio10, I am no longer on cymbalta & only Wellbutrin. My dr weaned me off cymbalta. I just want to know if I increase to 300mg is there a chance of seizures???

• Posted

It's been many years but I used Wellbutrin to quit smoking. I think how it worked with me was preparing my brain that I was going to be quitting smoking and then with all the brain chemicals moving around it helped me stay side tracked and not think or obsess over smoking.  I don think know forusre, but have been smoke free for almost 19 years. Good luck!

• Posted

Mslyn, how many mg do u have to be on to help u quit?

Right now on I'm 150mg till i see my dr 3/27/17.

It seems with what I read u need 300mg to help u quit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.