Help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I suffer from crippling anxiety and I've always over exadurated how I feel and similar to the boy who cried wolf now family and friends never believe me when I believe things are wrong with me.

First off I'm 18 years old and Im an athlete, I workout almost everyday now. The Past 3 days I've had this tightness near the center of my chest with little to no pain at all its very uncomfortable and hard to rest. What should I do, should I be worried? should I force someone to take me to see the doctor? I'm lost at this point and it's scary because I'm very worried about my heart health. Please help, thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My first question to you would be, do you drink energy drinks? (Like Red Bull, NOS, 5-hour Energy, etc.)  Or caffeine drinks? Like Mt. Dew, Coke, Pepsi, etc?  Are you taking any type of stimulants, creatine, or muscle building supplements?  These products can create stress in the form of chest tightness, anxiety, nervousness, and heart palpitations.  If you do take any of these products I would suggest stopping them and see if your symptoms improve after a day or two.  

As for your "crying wolf", have you considered counseling?  Do you or your family belong to a church?  A lot of, or most, pastors these days are certified counselors and can help you work through your problems.  A person who frequently believes they are in ill-health is usually called a Hypochondriac, or suffering from Hypochondria.  These fears of things being wrong with you can be dealt with by first realizing they are not real.  If it would help to set your mind at ease see a doctor and get a thorough checkup/exam.  If you're an athletic 18 yr old and work out a lot I'm sure your in good health.  Dealing with your anxiety should be the first thing to address, then the rest should take care of itself.  Good luck to you.  

• Posted

Now first of all anxiety will bring on all kinds of feelings panic attacks seem to be happening here you will feel like your having a heart attack ,dizzy sick which ever manifests with you, Tell me why do you need someone else to take you to see a doctor ? if your worried about your heart !  go to A&E quick monitor ECG will tell if any thing is happening with your heart .I dont know your circumstances but talking therapy might help you, are you taking medications for your anxiety ? if not i think it might be a good idea to see your own doctor no one else will do this for you if they think your crying wolf as you say... you can not force someone to listen or take you to see a doctor .. i would say its all because of ANXIETY . 

• Posted

Thank you for your opinions, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor and hopefully all will be ok, and I do most definitely need some counseling... At this point my sanity is probably a little more important than just thinking something is wrong all the time, LOL.

• Posted

Good to hear you have an appointment & I trust your concerns will be addressed.

I also see you've had some good advice & I don't have much to add other than say anxiety & panic disorders are commonplace among Young people - & even slightly older people! When I was a little older than you, I became suicidal, but thankfully I sought help. Like you, I felt like I was 'crying wolf' because I constantly had something physically wrong, when in reality it was my mental health making me unwell. Now I'm not saying your chest tightness is anxiety, however, it may be this & it can be helped with talking therapies & sometimes medication? There is nothing to be frightened or ashamed about. Your dr will be able to help & in the meantime if the chest tightness becomes overwhelming/frightening then get to A&E & have it checked out by the hospital Drs.

One last thing, are there no friends or family or teacher or work colleague  that you can talk to about your feelings?  You'd be surprised how many feel the same way you do & maybe that might help you feel less alone?

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.