HELP!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My mom has been taking gabapentin and it’s making her like  a zombie . She sleepy but yet she stays up and she try’s to clean and cook stuff . She just started a fire at 3:00am thank god I woke up in time or I could have died in my sleep . She won’t remember anything later on . She is falling in and out of sleep in the kitchen and I keep telling her to get in the bed but she won’t listen she keeps yelling and try’s to argue with me but it doesn’t make since . I don’t know what to do she won’t listen and I’m afraid to fall asleep while she’s up . What do I do ? She’s has episodes every now and then 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Gabapentin is great stuff for nerves in legs, etc.  But too much can put you to sleep easily. I started on about 4-500/day and fell asleep during a Buddy Guy concert. I felt stoned all the time. Cut down, and now on 200/day.
    • Posted

Susan, so glad you cut down on this terrible medication. I'm off it 15 days now. Can't say I feel better. Still suffering side effects. Am hanging in and won't ever be on it again.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you and your mom are going thru this. I can't identify with your mom's behavior. When I was on Gabapentin I had blurred vision, clumisness, falling all the time and always tired amonst other side effects. I went off it 15 days ago. Am still suffering it's effects. Bad leg and foot pain, tingling also. My blurred vision was so bad I thought I was going blind.

I'm sure there will be somebody on this site that can help you. I wish you and mom well and hope the side effects get better for her. For me being on this medication was a nightmare.

Marie

• Posted

Hi. Gabapentin is a horrible medicine with side effects and withdrawals. Yes it does this to you. It could be too much for her. How many mg is she on? I would call dr. VERy VERY IMPORTANT wean off VERY slowly.   Keep us posted.   
    • Posted

I’m not sure how many mg I’ve been up all night trying to get her into bed she keeps getting up doing weird stuff now she’s cutting up the living room pillows idk what to do 
  • Posted

This is difficult. Her doctor needs to be told TODAY what is occurring. If you’re a minor you’ll need help from an adult. As clearly and as unemotionally as possible explain what’s happening. It may or may not be just the gab. There could be other meds adding to the problems. Most doctors don’t know how gab affects some people. HIPPA rules make this tricky but as it’s a mmatter of safety, they need to know and should help.
    • Posted

This is emotional for me i don’t know what to do in this situation 
    • Posted

CALL SOMEONE! We are not EMS or medical staff, call a neighbor or friend or doctor or even 911. Something is wrong.
  • Posted

Oh dear ! I don't have any advice for you. My problems with Gabapentin started when I stopped taking the drug. I am very tired during the day and cannot sleep at night. Has she talked to her doctor? Sounds like this could be a safety issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.