help

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have suffered from pityriasis versicolor for 5 nearly 6 years now and its driving me crazy! i have tried creams clotrimazole, nizoral, selsun shampoo and now i am taking itraconazole tablets. I have just finished a weeks course of them and still have patches on me. Treated my skin with selsun which seemed to clear up the rash a week later i went on holiday never really went out in the sun just in case but even so the rash came out all over my face i looked like a burnt tomato or something, it also came out all over my arms, this is disgusting, I cant cope anymore crying all the time PLEASE can someone help me. I am terrified that my 1 year old is going to catch it off me. I just dont know what to do!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen a dermatolgist and not just your GP? If no treatment for the condition is helping or is making it flare up then perhaps you need to go get a second opinion. Apparently pit versicolor doesnt spread though, so i doubt you'll give it to your child if thats actually what you have.
  • Posted

[quote:3c69b3e26d=\"Anonymous\"]Have you seen a dermatolgist and not just your GP? If no treatment for the condition is helping or is making it flare up then perhaps you need to go get a second opinion. Apparently pit versicolor doesnt spread though, so i doubt you'll give it to your child if thats actually what you have.[/quote:3c69b3e26d]

I have not seen a dermatologist as yet, i am now taking Fluconazole tablets which have cleared some of the rash but also brought it out all over my stomach and back, anyway i am taking these tablets for 6 weeks, (2 weeks left) and then going back to my doctor. he said if it does not improve then he will refer me to the dermatologist although i really doubt that they can give me anything that i havent already had. It makes me sad to think that i may or probably will have this for the rest of my life, i know people have alot worse things but everyones problem to them is a problem and this gets me so depressed i cant even go out in the summer its awful. anyway thanks for replying to me.

• Posted

Hi, i have the same condition for 12 months. my doctor prescribed Lamisil Cream which stopped the infection from spreading but in November this year he said it was nothing and wouldn't prescribe me any more, now it has spread all over my arms and looks awful i also cry all the time because my 1 1/2 year old daughter has white patches round her boobs and on her legs knees especialy the doctor said it is nothing. i don't know what else to do its driving me crazy, its all i think about

All my love to you anyway and hope you find a treatment xxxx

• Posted

Well it is now May and i have been taking fluconazole tablets for about 8 months now and the pityriasis versicolor has gone from my arms ,( well its not there so i hope its gone,) However it is STILL on my face eeerrrr!! and slightly underneath my armpits but it is going slowly. The rash on my face has improved but is not completely gone. The doctor has told me that i am not allowed to have anymore tablets now, so when i finish this course i cant have anymore, and i have this feeling that it wont all be gone by then. I dont know anymore i have had enough of it constantly thinking is it ever going to go away. I really have had enough of it...but what can i do?????
  • Posted

well im here again, its now Jan 15th 2009 and guess what ITS BACK!!! i was actually starting to think that this would go. i have taken fluconazole tablets for about 7 months approx and was not allowed any more, the pityriasis versicolor had improved by i would say 85% which was fantastic but now 8 months later it is starting to come back. I think its because I never really got rid of it all in the first place. I am pregnant now aswell so i cant take any treatment for it so i guess i will just have to wait and then hammer it with everything cos i'm SICK OF IT!!! worst thing is that it is on my face and it comes out all red and blotchy, horrible. oh well wish me luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.