HELP! 2 years post Lateral partial meniscectomy (right knee)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Background:

Traumatic flap tear of the lateral meniscus  middle-third right knee after fall. Diagnosis via MRI. Also noted was mild chrondomalacia patella In march 2016.

Partial meniscectomy performed april 2016.

In the now nearing 2 years that have followed I note the following:

Constant Swelling above the right knee which looks like a knee-above the real knee!- (almost to the extent it was before surgery) 

Bruising-look above the outer right knee (blueish with pink mottled area)

Multiple dark vein type lines also above the outer right knee

Stiffness

Knee often has the feeling of “giving out”

Grinding feeling when felt during an extension movement (hand on knee during extension of leg)

Frequently has an audible “crack” or “click” noise heard by others

More frequently has a “click” or “crack” feeling to myself that is not audible

Frequent Sharp, slab-like pains from the outer side of the knee

Constant dull pain

“lock”-like feeling when walking until cracks or clicks

Unable to rest in bed until I have found a position that mimics that of immediate post surgery (on back, knee elevated on pillow) because it causes pain

Numb-(not there/dead) feeling when walking. No “tingling” noted

Unable to have weight on knee (example-small child) it causes a sharp deep pain with a burn-like sensation throughout the whole knee

With rest, swelling does not go down-at all

Constant “sore” feeling

Hard to drive long distances, or frequent in-out in-out car trips (automatic)

Unable to “squat”- within seconds the knee will shake, then visibly shake, then feel as if it is about to “give out”

Stairs seem to provoke a knee reaction. (clicking, locking, cracking, stiffness, sharp pain combo)

Pre injury I had perfect balance (champion kayaker) & post injury/surgery I note my balance has been quite effected

I completed my required physio & I was given a full medical clearance 8 weeks post op & told that the swelling would go with time. It did not.

Last week GP has noted decrease of range of movement. (I am not sure to what %) this differs from the physio outcome after surgery of full range in 2016

Sharp pain has started, in the last month or so to wake me from sleep.

History:

I am a 35 year old female & overweight, although I live an active lifestyle. I am highly active in an outdoor rescue volunteer role & I have 6 children. .

I no longer work fulltime (on top of volunteering)-which I think has been a god send after this injury; allowing me to rest. I do have a very high pain threshold & have only been taking targin 5/10mg when the pain is really really bad-which is becoming to frequent to ignore. I have recently purchased a cane & I have found it helps a lot, especially with stairs.

Any ideas as to what the hell is going on? I cant find anything related on the web? Some of the information I have included my be irrelevant, but I thought it pertinent to include everything. I welcome any thoughts on this, Thanks smile

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It sounds like it's torn again. Go see the orthopedist and demand another MRI. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Renee, thanks for the reply!

​do you know if that can happen without actually injuring it? 

• Posted

Yes! That's what happened to me. I knew it was torn again. I don't know how it happened! But it did and sure enough he found another tear in the second surgery. I have no idea how it tore either time. I'm 58 and was a runner, did step arrobics, yoga, walking a lot. So now I can't do any of that or the knee swells up and I can't walk at all. Good luck.

• Posted

WOW. I hope they can tell on the MRI that I didn't do it (injure) because it sounds like i'm going to need to prove that :S 

• Posted

Why do you have to prove you didn't do it on purpose? That's out of your control lol. Is it an insurance thing?

• Posted

i forgot to mention on the above post that I haven't sustained any new my knee. These symptoms have remained after the surgery in 2016 & are getting back to the "before surgery" state

• Posted

Yep my first surgery was July 2016. It was never right. I put up with it till September 2017. Surgery October 31. So either he missed the 2nd tear during the first surgery or it tore again. I hadn't seen the doctor either since post op 2016 when he blew me off.

• Posted

Lol no. I'm in the good old USA. Rochester, NY to be exact. We have great doctors in this area. You're from Australia?

• Posted

hi Renee, yes I am from Queensland, Australia. I live remote so 'great care' is over 200km away, in my case that being ANY ortho. This injury happened at work so after having had the full med clearance in may 2016 I have had to go through the usual process with re opening the claim. Please to say, that although its confirmed not healed from 2016, i'm mortified at what comes next. I've seen you both talk about "gel shots" what are they?

• Posted

From what I understand, the gel shot acts as a lubricant in the kneecap allowing a cushion of sorts. My knee feels like it's "catching" when I bend it. The doctor felt it too so he suggested it. Don't know if it will help or not. I think they used to be called Synvisc shots. Google it and see. Im still not sure I'll get one or not. It's optional!

• Posted

ah right I got ya. Yeah mine catches also...horrible feeling
  • Posted

Gee.....that sounds awful! Hate to tell you but when my left knee got like that after 2 arthroscopy I was finally ready for a knee replacement. What does your surgeon say.....other than you might be young for a replacement?
    • Posted

nothing as yet, last time I saw him it was 8 weeks post surgery for the medical clearance.  GP has mentioned knee replacement amongst other things just recently. MRI is booked for the 22nd
    • Posted

Renee.....my gel shot is being cleared with insurance and then has to be ordered. I'm told it should take about a week. In the meantime a friend gave me a 3 wheel rollater to try. I don't use it every day but on the bad days it really takes pressure off the knee and back. I love it! Lightweight and turns on a dime .Complete w/basket for throwing things in. Folds up for storage and/or travel.

• Posted

Beanie....keep the group posted. 'Interested to hear what the MRI shows. Good luck!

• Posted

Luanne, I have to call the doctor about the gel shot tomorrow. They left me a message, so they must have cleared it through insurance. I'll let you know how much it costs. I wonder if it's worth it. Meanwhile, I've blown out my back last week and am in excruciating pain! Jeesh I can't catch a break. It's agonizing. We're in this together right? Chin up, keep going. Lol

• Posted

I guess we'll both know soon about the gel shot. I expect my call back this week.I'm going to do it because this will be the last stop for me before a TKR........which I don't want to do until we sell the house and move on. Anything that will will buy me time I'm going for! My doctor is convinced it will help. My back has bothered me, too. I believe it's because I walk "funny" to compensate for the knee. That's where that 3 wheel rollater comes in. I haven't taken it outside the house yet, a shopping cart serves the same purpose,  but at home it's been a real help! Let me know when you get the shot. Good luck! I'm pulling for you!

• Posted

Hi Luanne, I have recently purchased a cane, my physio suggested it is better then the crutches/cyro cuff. I have found it to be quite good for walking, especially stairs! It also kinda hides the funny walking. My kids thing its funny as to see me have a cane but lol. But apparently they are all the rage now, even in young knee patients.
    • Posted

I've been using crutches on bad days to take the weight off the knee. Used them last week around the house. Today I did light housework. So far so good!

• Posted

hi Beanie....I have a Leki treking pole with cane handle. In a pinch it can be adjusted to become a mono crutch yet collapses small enough to get in my carry on. It's become a constant companion over the years. I had 4 arthroscopy and a TKR on the left knee some years ago. This right knee is the latest adventure. With time you learn what works for you. With a little swagger, a cane, pole, whatever....they are all cool! lol   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.