Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I ve just detoxed again and really don t want to do t again, I ve tried everything from AA to that new tablet everybody talking about, it did nt for me, can anybody tell me what has worked for them

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Tina-there is no magic cure-you really have to be at a place in your life where you have had enough- i tried the whole lot- treatment cetres- AA- Anti-buse- none worked for me- i spent years tying to stay sober-quiting was never a problem it was staying off it after i began to feel better-i had my last binge in july 2005- i had enough- physicaly and mentally-the guilt alone was horendous- il never forget it-nor want to- i was done - i have had a few periods since when i was headed for a relapse but i started working with an addiction counsellor and got honest-with myself and with her-it was the best decision i ever made- i did become addicted to pain pills following back surgery but i am now clean from them as well- taking the pills was a completely different experience-i wasnt taking them to supress my feelings- or emotions- i think you have to really want it tina and really get honest with yourself-try and identify any underlying problems and deal with them - its not easy but can be done- i was a chronic alcoholic, could barely function- so if i can make it - anyone can - best of luck-keep posting and let us know how you are doing-
  • Posted

Hi Tina,

If it is namalfene you are talking about, it is not a big surprise as the clinical study has shown only a minor effect to stop the cravings.

Being French I have been precribed baclofen and it works very well for me and my sister who was a very serious drinker after a month or so : no desire for alcohol whatsoever, no struggles, no fights, no cravings : just absolutely normal.  If you go beyond 120mg there may be side effects (mainly sleppiness for a while, and it fades away) but the average dose where the cravings completely stop is about 180mg.  Two clinical studies are going on BACLOVILLE and ALPADIR carry out my the French gouvernement (Baclofen is an old and cheap drug and there is no moneyto be made). The results should be out in a few months. I will post them as soon as available.  There is hope.  Good luck.

Sophie

PS

If you want to know more there is a book : the end of my addiction my Olivier Ameisen.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replies, I ve done AA, Alan Carr, pathways and every tablet ever made lol, I have now found a private councillor which I hope will work.

I know i really have to want it and I really do, I am l to losing everything, I want it for them but more importantly  want it for myself.

I hate everything about drink, the depression, the detoxing and the pain it causes,

Seeing the counillor in Feb,so keep your fingers  x fr me guys xx

• Posted

hi tina , i really hope that you get the help you need from the counsellor- it really worked for me-one mistake i made was that i was not totally honest with myself or with her from the start and this delayed the process- when i was finally, totally honest and addressed some really personal issues it changed my life and that is the truth and this is from someone who was highly sceptical about counselling, to put it politely- i really hope that it works for you as well as it has for me - best of luck tina- let us know how you are doing -
  • Posted

Hi Tina,

I hope you will find the support you hope for.  It is so important not to be alone.

I will keep my fingers and my toes crossed for you!

Sophie

PS If you know, what was your baclofen dosage ?  I know it did not worked for you but this information may be very valuable to others in order understand how/when this drug works.  In any case, please please put yourself first and answer only if you have the time and the strenght.

• Posted

Hi Sophie, Thanks for your support, I ve not ben on Baclofen, I ve tried the Nalmafen I can t remember the dosage and not all Drs will prescibe it.

I feel more optomistic about counsellor thankyou PMCG, the support on these forums really helps, knowing your not the only one, I ll keep you up dated xx

• Posted

i really hope it works out for you Tina - best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.